Oil coming out of IC tube at SC Top

Sam Woodson

I just had the hood open on Friday and everything was fine. Tuesday night I was checking the fluids and saw the IC tube where it connects to the SC top was blowing oil, quite a bit. Or at least that is what it looks like to me.

Any ideas? See pic.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• Tbird Oil at IC tube.JPG
    Tbird Oil at IC tube.JPG
    311.1 KB · Views: 177
Tighten the nut. It's normal to have motor oil inside the IC tubes...thanks to the PCV valve being plumbed just prior to the supercharger inlet.

David

I was hoping that was all, but it seemed like a lot. I replaced the SC on the 92 SC I had back in 1998 and remember oil coming out of the tubes/IC when I did it.

I'll try it, thanks

Tighten the nut. It's normal to have motor oil inside the IC tubes...thanks to the PCV valve being plumbed just prior to the supercharger inlet.

David

Wow should ther be that much oil. Mine dont get that much oil in the ic or tubes and my pvc is working is that bad? Also wont he need some kind of seal ,rtv,or gasket i think if you just tighten the nut it will still leak.

I use RTV black or the high temp, what ever i have laying around. only coat it like a thin film.

Last edited:
its normal to get blow-by in the ic tubes and the IC itself. spinningwheel-sc.com sells blow-by kits. its looks like a good deal to have a cleaner intake system. anyone have one of these kits ??

I saw those kits back in January when I first bought this SC then kind of forgot about it. I believe I posted asking if anyone had experience with them, I do not recall getting a response.

I saw those kits back in January when I first bought this SC then kind of forgot about it. I believe I posted asking if anyone had experience with them, I do not recall getting a response.

Ask Victor, I'm sure he would be happy to tell you all about it.

i have the same problem with my sc i havent gotten too far into it yet but i have been told it could have something to do with the pcv system

Like David said they all do it. If i ever thin of it at the right time I am giong to put a drain at the bottom of my double intercooler.

Made my own

I saw the Blow by kit on Victors site and after seeing what it was I made my own. Very easy with an water seperator for an air line and some rubber tubing, a few fittings to screw into the water seperator, small clamps, you can make the same thing for a lot less. I think it cost me like 13.00 with all the parts.

No offense Victor it was a good product, just a little more expensive for my taste when I can make one of my own.

I have noticed less oil in the lower IC Tube now as well, which I suppose was the entire point of it all.

Smitty

Well I tightened the IC tube and checked it the next day, it looked like little oil came out.

Then another day or two went by and the burning oil smell was worse again. I looked under the hood, lots of oil again. I checked the dipstick this time and it was runny, bubbly and had some green junk in it.

So if the original problem was not a head gasket, it appears that it is now. Just an FYI incase anyone else has this problem in the future. Perhaps the pressure was being release out the IC tube and when I tightened it, the pressure had to be released somewhere else.

The car still seems to be running and starting fine. I pulled it out of the garage this morning. I will be letting it sit at a relatives until it is sold.

I have an offer of $2,500 as is, I will give him sometime to come up with the funds, if not it will be for sale or parted out.

I have an offer of $2,500 as is, I will give him sometime to come up with the funds, if not it will be for sale or parted out.

Dont be worried about me not coming up with the funds. I'll have the funds for sure. Like I said before I'll be in touch.

Shane

I know this is a bit of a thread resurrection, but I am guessing that the HG was leaking to the outside and spraying the oil onto the IC tube from underneath. That explains why it was all over the outside of the nut as well. Then the HG leak got worse and you finally noticed the coolant in the oil.

I think that's way too much oil to be regular blowby. My car collects a little inside the lower IC tube, but not near that much.

I know this is a bit of a thread resurrection, but I am guessing that the HG was leaking to the outside and spraying the oil onto the IC tube from underneath. That explains why it was all over the outside of the nut as well. Then the HG leak got worse and you finally noticed the coolant in the oil.

I think that's way too much oil to be regular blowby. My car collects a little inside the lower IC tube, but not near that much.

Where would the HG be leaking from though to do that? I had a big leak there once and I wiped it clean and it never happened again.:confused:

Now that I am looking at it again, I think it could have been from the lower intake gasket. My mom had a 3.8 Windstar with the common problem of a leaky lower intake manifold, and it would spray a fine mist of coolant out occasionally. Maybe I'm wrong entirely, but I was just theorizing in the first place. Actually, that Windstar had a lot of coolant in the oil passages from that lower IM gasket leak. I don't think Sam ever did a compression test to verify that it was the HG?

Back