another idle problem

zbird1

just got done rebuilding the motor and started it for the first time today and i put a CAI on the car. it idles at 2000 at start up and 1500 when its warm but why letting it warm up there was a growl coming from the cone filter not all the time every so often for about 10to15 seconds at a time and when you rev it the idle does not come down right away and when i shut it off it made a goose like sound from the air filter. any advise would be great. thanks.

just got done rebuilding the motor and started it for the first time today and i put a CAI on the car. it idles at 2000 at start up and 1500 when its warm but why letting it warm up there was a growl coming from the cone filter not all the time every so often for about 10to15 seconds at a time and when you rev it the idle does not come down right away and when i shut it off it made a goose like sound from the air filter. any advise would be great. thanks.

Maybe something to do w/ the idle air control? I'll try to look into this at work today for you. I'll run it by a few people that may have delt w/ this on other cars. I assume you've checked all the connections and they're good? How was the car running before the rebuild? Did it have the same problem?

the "goose honk" on shut off is most always the IAC. replace that. and a high idle can be a number of things. try the IAC and see how it reacts to that.

What am I missing here? It seems pretty obvious that a goose got in there while the engine was apart. Just open up the air cleaner and let em out. Gosh, this mechanic thing is gettin easier, and easier! Sorry, I had to. Seriously it sounds like you may have a vacume leak that the iac can't adjust enough for. The chances of the iac deciding to go bad because you built the engine are small. The chances of a vacume leak are much higher, but you need to get rid of the goose first. Sorry again. The goose sound indicates the iac is about as closed as it can be when you shut it off. I use an allmost closed iac for hunting all the time. Sorry again. Later
Danny

Back