3.73s

Check FRPP catalogs, SCP sells them, Summit sells them - since the link is posted above - just depends on what brand you want.

Eventually, I'll be putting 3.73's in my 'Bird.

-Melon

You can get the ring and pinion gears from a ford explorer (cheap at a u-pull-it). The tag on the back of the pumpkin will say 3.73.

Used gears will 9 times out of 10 howl and whine. Think about it. They were setup in the differential and adjusted originally. (backlash, pre-load, etc..) Now you pull them out and swap them into your diff and try to set them to spec. Problem is they have however many miles on them and they will wear. So the chances are they will work yes, but they may make noise since they wore originally setup in a different diff.

Gears are cheap enough buy them new. Now if you can find an SC diff with gears in it used and swap the whole entire differential over that is fine. But when you install used gears in your car, don't expect them to be perfect.

A guy I work with has been setting up rear ends for many years. I think I'm going to have him do mine when I buy new gears. I was asking him about gears and stuff and I said what about used gears. His exact words were "are you ~~~~in' crazy?" then he proceeded to explain about the whine and growl and stuff because of how the gears will wear. I take his word for it, I mean he has only been doing this for a living for the past 25 years.

I think the later-model SCs came with standard open rear ends, due to traction contropl being available. Maybe Trak-Lok was an option on them.

94 and 95 auto had 3.31 gears and open diff. It had traction control which would apply the brake if the wheel spun faster than the other wheel. All 89-95 5-speed SC's had 2.73 gears and trac-loc differentials. 89-93 Auto's had 3.27 gears and trac-loks.

If you are going to buy gears, buy the FORD gears. I have had problems with other gears, though they are within speck, they howel.

Chris

Also remember any thing over 3.55 your speedo will be off, unless you change the output shaft gear; not just the VSS gear.

When I bought my gears I went with Ford also. Why take a chance on a cheap product. I remember years ago we put zoom gears in a car and they were junk!

Back