how many amps the stock fan pull

also why i ask, because i want to keep my low speed fan working and wire the high speed to a switch that i can turn on and off when need if the car is running to hot( only when ripping on it):D .

If I can remember correctly, the low speed windings on the fan need to be off when the high speed windings are on for high speed fan operation.....

Doing both at the same time isn't good for the fan motor.....

That's what the IRCM is for.....

ah well ok how many amp its pull. ill only hook high speed up and leave the ircm unhooked . Or ill leave it hooked up and only do the high speed when needed (only when the low speeds not on or in its time 2 come on or be on )

Last edited:
I cut the #17 wire (I think that is the right one) on my IRCM to make the low speed fan come on whenever the ignition switch is on.....

I have not had any problems with overheating at all, but I don't have A/C either.....

The engine does take quite some time getting up to normal operating temperature......

I think the fuse is 70A. But a fuse is a safety device designed to go when a short circuit happens in order to protect wiring, switches, and circuits from getting cooked. Usually it means that the normal current is around 50% of that, so I'd estimate about 35A. An estimate is about all I can provide for now. :)

In order to not burn things up, you will need to allow the low speed circuit to brng the fan up to speed, then kick it over to the high speed that shuts off the low speed from there. If you don't follow that, you'll burn some wires and windings up just going straight to high speed because of the amount of current being drawn.

If your that concerned about using the high speed fan all the time because your car is overheating, then I would suggest you start looking for the problem as to why its overheating in the first place.

Personally, I hate the idea of using manual switches to kick on the fans, because sure as shootin, there will be that 1 time where your staring at that billboard sign with a girl with no clothes and your motor (the CAR son, not u) is overheating, then you will get to know that sign real good as you wait for the tow truck.

There's a careful balance as to what the optimal temperature the engine needs to be at or cooking the sucker, because running the engine too cold is also inefficient, and will lead to power loss as well.

Dave Dalke posted awhile back about the optimal op temp for these motors and it seems to be had by running a 180 tstat WITH A CHIP TO LOWER THE FAN ON TEMPS...... again I will say, WITH A CHIP TO LOWER THE FAN ON TEMPS......

Its been proven many times that just throwing a 180 tstat in with the stock fan on temps can cause the motor to run hotter.

If your car is overheating, I'd track down as to why. With the stock tstat, fan on temps, good coolant etc I can romp on the car and she doesn't overheat even in 110 deg weather.

no my car is not overheating just when im in the throttle it runs very hot i just wanted to make is so i can cool the car down fast and yes i hate manuel switchs also.

Last edited:
yea i didnt put it in ther but i think the guy i bought the car from did it and the car is mostly stock. but i think that he said it was a 160* it prob needs a changing anyways.;)

Back