Brake/Starter interlock & VMM questions...

Kit Sullivan

OK, this place has been a great help to me already in just the few days I've owned the SC! Thanks to everybody!

I have two new questions:

How do I disconnect the brake pedal/ starter interlock function on my 90 SC? Is this a feature on all the MN12 cars? MAN, is it annoying the hell out of me!

And, out of curiosity, how does the VMM measure the oil change interval? My odometer has not worked in a long while. Is it hooked up to the ododmeter in some fashion? Can a set mileage interval be programmed into it? I change my oil very often and I would to have it trip when I want it to, noit when it wants to.

Are you talking about the procedure where you have to push the brakes to get the starter to crank?

My 90 SC had that, it was annoying. I hated hitting the brakes everytime I when to start it.

I bypassed it. Under the dash plate on the drivers side (3 8mm bolts hold it up, then pull the metal support plate off), there was a relay I believe with some wires going into it, I just bypassed it and hooked two of the wires together with a crimp on butt connector. Now it cranks when I hit the key and I don't have to hold the brakes. Only early year auto's had that feature/annoyance. Let me see if I can find the color of the wires you need to connect.... I'll get back to you. It's been a few months so it's not fresh in my memory.

The VMM goes by how many times the car is started. So if you do a lot of short trips it will tell you to change the oil more frequently. Mine usually comes on 2 times in 3000 to 4000 miles.

Thanks! So just connect the two red w/ lt blue chaser wires together? Fantastic!

I read somewhere that the VMM judges oil fitness by two criteria: It collects data about oil temperature and it also gets signals from the tach. How could it get oil temp? And what the heck could the tach signal have to do with it?

Oil temp I'm not sure I don't have an oil temp sensor that I'm aware of. Tach signal is probably true. It can monitor starts, and if you run around at higher rpms it's more wear so it will make changing the oil more frequent.

Yes connect the two wires. Cut, strip, connect, crimp. Bingo. (Or use elect. tape if you have to LOL)

Good luck.

The tach signal to the VMM is absolutely true. Every time you unplug your cam sensor and go for a drive, about 10 minutes later you will notice the oil change portion will go blank. It will not stay on without some kind of a tach signal. Even my bad cam sensor will keep it lit up. :)

Back