Another check engine light problem?

brdman2

'92 SC bucked, sputtered and died on the freeway heading 3+ hours home from Disneyland late Saturday night. Got the family to hotel, fortunately across the street from Galpin Ford in San Fernando valley, CA. Had their tow service take in on Sunday for them to look at Monday. They found no fuel pressure and replaced pump & filter. Got it running, but was rough - spark problem. Finally narrowed it down to a broken front crank bolt, which messed up the crank sensor (which has been replaced recently). Pulled the crank, drilled & replaced the bolt and buttoned it up. I drove down to pick it up and headed back over the mountains for home in the dark. After about 1/2 hour, the CEL started coming on for 30-60 seconds, then went off. Kept going through cycles like this of 4 or 5 on cycles, then it would rest. Intervals kept getting shorter and the last hour it would basically be on for a minute and off for a couple or so the whole way. Engine ran fine, electrical, etc.
Today on my 45-minute commute to work, light didn't come on at all, or during lunch errand.

Could there be something with fuel/emission/spark systems that needed to reset or clear out after replacements? I drove non-stop, so never stopped & restarted the car - afraid that it might not start back up and would leave me stranded again. If it doesn't come on again, should I just not worry about it? This car was supposed to be a "good" daily driver with only ~ 70K on it, but has been a bit of a money pit. Found out after I bought it that DMV required new plates because it had been inop for 5 years or more, so some problems may be from sitting. Body & interior are in great shape, and drive train seems to be good & strong, but electronics and peripherals have been driving me to the poor house! Generally I'd not give it too much thought (wife's Fiero CEL would light occasionally, but was due to emission system problem), but after the problems I've been having, I'm a bit paranoid. (Plus, it's a BRIGHT light at night!)

Thanks for any info!

Best way to find out is to run the codes and see what the car is telling you. Most shops charge a minimum of one hour's labor for diagnostics. We do at our shop. However Auto Zone can check it for free. Just make sure you find someone there that is familiar with EEC IV (EEK 4) Ford computers. Which is getting harder now adays. Plus the dealer should have read, fixed, and cleared all codes. If it's still coming on, something is wrong. If they cleared the codes, and the light comes on there is another problem that was overlooked.

I just replied in another Check Engine post explaining about the KOEO and KOER testing you might want to read through before you take the car to an autozone and have them check it to make sure both you and the parts guy, are both on the same page about how the system is tested.

Thanks for the info, Scott. I did see your info on the other thread. CEL hasn't come on in the last two days, but if I can get into AutoZone to have them check it out soon I will. I seem to recall reading that the codes will disappear after a certain number of starts, or a battery disconnect. I've been paying the dealers' mechanics enough already, so any free service would be greatly appreciated!

problems

Scary, but the EXACT same thing happened to me on my way down to FLA for Thanksgiving. Car was bucking, broke down on the highway. Had the car towed to a Ford dealer. They have so far replaced the DIS Module, MAF sensor, and crank sensor. I hope that does it.!
I'll let you know what happens.

Back