He can't be pulling me.........

ThunderDave

Have you ever had something slip from your mind or just not realize something? I was at a light last night on the way to work and look in the mirror to see what looks like Crown Vic headlights. I check the side mirror and see the lights on top, yep it's a state trooper.

Well, I knew I wasn't speeding and I assumed everything was fine. He just happened to be in line behind me, NOT! The lights turn green and I start through the intersection and there goes the blues flashing. :eek: :mad: :confused: :mad:
He comes up to the window and says my tags are expired. :confused:

I had transferred the tags from the 91 to the 89 in June of this year. The tags were to expire in July, but DMV never sent me the renewal form and it never occurred to me that they were out of date. So I ordered the sticker online. But still have to go to court in January to show it's been taken care of.

That's the first time I've been pulled over since 93. Oh well, time to start a new count. Thank you NCDMV. :(

Here in NY you can just check not guilty on the ticket, mail them a copy of the updated tags and if you do it within 15 days i belive it is, evetyhing is A-Ok .. but your in Cali so u might be outa luck like that ?

nope, in cali, you just take ur update tags and registration and ur scott free unless u have prior offenses then ur in for it...

Here in NY you can just check not guilty on the ticket, mail them a copy of the updated tags and if you do it within 15 days i belive it is, evetyhing is A-Ok .. but your in Cali so u might be outa luck like that ?

I'm in North Carolina. I'll have to check on that and see. It would be a lot less of a pain to just send them proof that it has been taken care of.

I work 6 days a week most weeks and my birthday was a sunday. A week later I got pulled over by a Sheriff and he said my tags were expired and my tint was too dark. Came back with a nice envelope and said I wrote you for the tags and personally I don't care about the tint.

I had to take a short day at work to go to the damn DMV and register the car $109.00 (fee, plus $15.00 for custom plate, plus $10.00 late fee) and then before work yesterday I had to drive to the south county courthouse and pay an $80.00 ticket. That was with proof. Without proof of renewal it was $110.00 and if I didn't handle it by yesterday there was a $25.00 late fee on top of that.

Yeah I just love giving the state money.

I used to be able to handle this all by mail, but they said I had to come in this year on my renewal notice because my insurance company wasn't on file. So yeah, $189.00 poorer. If I would have remembered to do it on time It would have cost me only $99.00 since the car is $84.00 to register plus $15.00 for my personalized 1QWK SC plates.

$100.00 to register a 16 year old car.... boy I'll tell you.....

Michigan is one of the most expensive states for plates. I moved from Michigan to Ohio 5 years ago and could not believe how cheap it is in Ohio. I think that my first year of tags was $32.

$100.00 to register a 16 year old car.... boy I'll tell you.....

I just paid $80 to register my 1973 F250 truck .. thats 33 years old!!
Meanwhile, my 94 Tbird is $62 to register, I dont understand how they come up with these prices.

- Dan

truck can qualify as a commercial vehicle causin ur registration fees to go up! you should see how much they charge my dad to register his dually every year....

i have a similar story i was in the process of moving and my old house said they had the thing for my new plates and i told him i would get it tomorrow and then forgot bout it.....well 2 days after my tags expired i got pulled over for it when i told the cops i had forgotten bout it they said yeah sure you did we hear that all the time now step out of the car we need to search it for contraband, and i was like ok go ahead and they found nothing and then wrote me a 100 dollar ticket and tryed to get me for no front plate and i said officer i think you need to look again and then he was mad because of the location of it and the law states that it has to be on the front of the vehicle which it was and he said it was too low.....aren't they funny sometimes the funny part is that i acutally didn't know they were expired i need my car for delivery of pizza and he didn't buy it so when i went in they saw the one from my lx and they said those have been expired for a long time and then i gave them the sc paper and they said 2 days and they gave u a ticket??? and i went to get the ticket paid and they dismissed it at their cost so it did no good to write a ticket a fix it ticket would have done just fine

cody

For registration, I was under the impression it was the taxable value of the car. When I was in CO, I had to pay around 200 to register my 89 XR7 because the guy put down the sale value of 2500. When I registered my 89 SC in the same state it only cost me 40 for a 400 dollar "sale".

When I registered my 89 SC here in texas they charged me 189 because the value of the car was 1900. For the ones that saw my white 89 there was no way in hell that my car was worth 1900.:D

Ha I got a ticket for expired reg even though my car had a good reg..I send in teh proof they sent me something today saying I need to show them proof....Umm errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

For registration, I was under the impression it was the taxable value of the car. When I was in CO, I had to pay around 200 to register my 89 XR7 because the guy put down the sale value of 2500. When I registered my 89 SC in the same state it only cost me 40 for a 400 dollar "sale".

When I registered my 89 SC here in texas they charged me 189 because the value of the car was 1900. For the ones that saw my white 89 there was no way in hell that my car was worth 1900.:D
In NY, the first time you register the car you pay tax (on the sale price, if you haven't payed the tax through some other means, ie. dealer) and a registration fee. After that you only pay the registration fee.

Here, they have a base amount and then if you are in a city limit, they tack on more. Last year we were out of a city limit and I think it was $25.00. We moved in June and are now in a city limit. Cost now is $33.00. :eek: I think they went up state wide according to what my old neighbor told me.

Last edited:
Here, they have a base amount and then if you are in a city limit, they tack on more. Last year we were out of a city limit and I think it was $25.00. We moved in June and are now in a city limit. Cost now is $33.00. :eek:

David, I've got a $40 wheel tax in the city limits of Lincoln. That doubles the cost of my registration...and I've got vanity plates...I think it is just under $100 per year...$40 for the wheel tax, $30 for the vanity plates, and the remaining $30 or so for the actual registration...talk about adding on!

At least the trooper that stopped me was nice and respectful and didn't have any attitude. I was nice and respectful to him as well, as I was just in shock about getting pulled. He even told me he had something similar happen to him. Wonder how many people in cars passing by thought I was pulled for speeding? :rolleyes: :D

Last edited:
yeah respect goes a long way and if they whip around on you and u pull over right away they like that too:rolleyes:

cody

Here you pay sales tax on the value of the vehicle only when you buy and apply for a new title. Otherwise it's based on a weight category.

Here the tickets aren't fix it tickets.

What is the Wheel Tax for in NE?

i think the wheel tax is for driving on the public roads if you live in town if you don't you don't have to pay the wheel tax

cody

Back