Adjusting my non adjustable clutch.

HK416SC

I've heard that the clutch grabbing point is non adjustable clutch. This is a problem as my clutch grabs all the way at the top. It's a pain in the butt as the clutch pedal already sits so much higher than the other two do.

Is there any way at all to adjust this? It's really quite vexing and makes driving uncomfortable. There is also excessive chatter upon initial engagement. I am finding it very ahrd to heel and toe smoothly as the pedal grabs so high up and I expect it to grab sooner, therefore my revs drop a lot lower before the clutch engages.

Bleeding the system help at all? Sorry guys, I don't have a service manual yet.

thanks, ronnie

I have exactly the same problem. I had Ford check it out and they said that it was non-adjustable too, and that the only way to fix it was to replace the clutch, which seems just asinine. The car only has maybe 50,000 miles on it and the clutch pedal has crept up like 2". Something's not kosher with that.

mine too.....same thing...it grabs like 2" from the top. I thought the clutch was going....but its still strong and it doesn't slip at all....i was going to replace it with a centerforce, but i'll just do that when it actually goes.

There HAS TO be a way to fix this without replacing the clutch.

Your clutched get chatter too?

thanks, ronnie

a little but...not bad though. I heard that is the sign that the clutch is going, but i looked into the bellhousing...there is a little black cover on there....and it looks like the fiber disk has plenty of meat on it. when it goes it goes.....i think next time i go to the track, and chrip 3rd....i'm gunna blow it, who knows though.

Generally speaking wear on the disk is not what causes the change in your pedal position. A thinner disk would actually result in the clutch disengaging sooner. I think is more likely that your pressure plate or " top has" is fatigued and therefore requires more travel of the clutch pedal to over come the spring pressure in the pressure plate. Only way I know to fix it is replace the clutch and use the best quality parts you can.
Wish I could tell you it would be easy but I takes some work and time. You have to drop perty much the entire exhaust system so you can drop the gas tank so that you can remove the drive shaft before you can even start. Also plan on a trip to the machine shop to get your flywheel cleaned up.

The ONLY way to adjust it is to have a shim made to move either the slave cylinder (forward) or the flywheel(backwards) out, but what you have is normal. How much? It's going to be trial and error (and a lot of error) Mine works in the last 2 inches B4 letting completly off of the pedal.

Jeff

Check your slave cylinder. My SC's clutch pedal was so hard to push in it was 10 x stiffer than my break pedal, which for me was a good thing, cause no one could drive my car correctly but me. But anyhow I am putting a new motor in with the existing tranny I did the smart thing and replaced the clutch while it was all out hoping that it might cure it. In the process I played with the slave cylinder back and forth and it was very difficult to make it move. I noticed a lot of corrosion on the shaft. Seeing this I decided to get a new one, which works perfect of course. So for me I think I found a cure. Hope this story might give you some insight. Randy

LOL, mine was the same as yours RVA, i ended up just replacing her. It took me and a friend about a day and a half with help from two others only to drop the trans and get it back in. We tackled it all ON THE GROUND!! Don you are wrong, yes the exhaust all must be dropped but the gas tank does not. just unbolt the driveshaft flange from the pinion on the rear, lift it up and pull it straight back so its out of the trans and resting on the rear. You must first drain the trans fluid or u will have a very large mess!!!!

if you need any more help email me at mmerani@mix.wvu.edu

i can give step by steps
o and by the way my stock clutch lasted 190,000 miles, pretty damn good if u ask me

chris

PS: My stock clutch lasted 230,000 probably woulda gone more but I am putting another motor in the car and replacing all I can think of since I got it all apart.

Back