pulled some codes....here they are

thunderkid84

i pulled about 4 more codes other than these ones but thats cuz i didnt do the WOT test.
my main concern are these 3 :

91 and 41 are for O2 sensors always reading lean and will not switch.

81 are for idle air control (IAC) circuit failure.

i just swapped my IAC 3 weeks ago but it wasnt a ford brand part. now driving is fine but when the clutch goes in RPM's kick up to 2200 and hold for about 10 secs then drops slowly to 1500 then eventually 800-1000.

its getting on my nerves and i cant find any vacuum leaks and the TPS is new also.

Clear the codes, drive the car, and check them again. Then also tell us if the codes are hard fault, memory, or running codes.

i"ll run the test tomorrow. im tired of workin on it today,lol. i did accomplish something tho, keyless entry, mirrors and interior lights are up and running again !!

finally pulled codes again

hey guys, sorry it took so long to pull the codes again, been too busy to worry about it.

now, since the last time ive re-sealed the IC tubes with the set from spinningwheels-sc and swapped out the IAC with a ford brand one. also checked all over for vacuum leaks and found nothing. the codes im getting now are :

KOEO-
67-improper signals are being received from either the neutral gear switch, neutral drive switch, neutral pressure switch, clutch switch, manual lever position switch, or A/C switch

KOER-
91-EGO sensor-signal voltage always indicated lean -or- transaxle problem, shift solenoid circuit failure
41-EGO sensor, voltage signal always lean-does not switch

could the O2 sensors be bad ?? anything would help at this point. thanks

Last edited:
the problem im having is.... driving is ok, with a little missing under boost which i know is spark plugs but im too lazy to do them lol.

but when the clutch goes in, the RPM's kick up to 2000-2200 and hold for about 10sec then very slowly come down to about about 1000-ish. and this happens EVERYTIME the clutch goes in.

i dont think bad O2 sensors would cause this but is it worth a try ?

Last edited:
The IAC would make it do that if it was bad, but do the plugs first like David said.
Read up on plug replacement first and fix your IAC (read up on that also.. can't use most of the aftermarket brands even if they are listed for the SC). Are you sure your IAC is the right one? It must look and fit exactly like the original... if it has anything different about it, its the wrong part.

But the code which states that there is no switching means that the O2 sensor is dead! Misfire and poor idle control won't cause that. :cool: You've got some work to do.

Last edited:
Are you sure your IAC is the right one? It must look and fit exactly like the original... if it has anything different about it, its the wrong part.

i went to ford to get the IAC i have on it right now. i told them it was an SC, 5spd, 89, and even had to give them the calibration code to the car. im pretty sure its the right IAC. 1 question tho....does it NEED to have a gasket between it and the throttle body?? its running the same as it did with it.

im going to give plugs and wires a try this weekend. and i'll post back for anyone following this thread.

thanks guys

Last edited:
i went to ford to get the IAC i have on it right now. i told them it was an SC, 5spd, 89, and even had to give them the calibration code to the car. im pretty sure its the right IAC. 1 question tho....does it NEED to have a gasket between it and the throttle body?? its running the same as it did without it.

im going to give plugs and wires a try this weekend. and i'll post back for anyone following this thread.

thanks guys

The new IAC should have come with a gasket. I've never seen bad plugs or wires make the idle go up like that, but that's just me. Give that a try and see if it helps.

the one i bought from advance auto came with a gasket but not the ford one. i figured i'd try runnin it without the gasket and it really made no difference...

So maybe if the IAC isn't sealed up good, it's sucking in unmetered air and thus causing the lean condition?????

So maybe if the IAC isn't sealed up good, it's sucking in unmetered air and thus causing the lean condition?????
Certainly possible. So, I think we all agree that idle speed to be addressed first. Oh.. and since we're on the subject of vaccuum leaks, it might be a good time to check for them. I dunno bout you guys, but propane works just fine for me... just let the air intake have a small whiff and you'll see. ;)

i spray carb cleaner to check for my vacuum leaks and i coudlnt find any.

the spark plugs and wires are being changed this weekend. i did 5 of em last nite b4 dark. all from the top ! the only one i couldnt get to was cyl. #4. most of the wires came off in pieces and they all had 1989 written on them!!!! i dont know if that means they havent been changed since then, but the spark plugs looked very old also. totally rusted around the nut, most were gapped at about .068, and were all burnt white from running lean and being so hot.

guess it was damn time for these to be replaced !

the plugs and wires are now changed and the thing idles beautifully !! I push the clutch in and rpm's drop to 1000 and then slowly to about 700-800. im still getting a check engine light for the O2 sensors, im sure. they are next on my list.

hey what would i look for if my motor mounts are going bad ??

thanks everyone for your ideas.;)

the plugs and wires are now changed and the thing idles beautifully !! I push the clutch in and rpm's drop to 1000 and then slowly to about 700-800. im still getting a check engine light for the O2 sensors, im sure. they are next on my list.

hey what would i look for if my motor mounts are going bad ??

thanks everyone for your ideas.;)
Glad its getting worked out. The best way to check the engine mounts is to raise the car up and look up with a flash light from the back of the engine. If the limiter bar is touching the bottom bracket, its time. The limiter bar is the part of the upper MM bracket that sticks through the square hole which is part of the lower bracket. There should be an air gap of at least 1/4". :)

Back