anyone this is good idea

In my opinion, it's not worth it. You're really not going to see a huge increase in airflow and if you mess up slightly on the drilling...you now need a new MAF.

You don't need to upgrade your MAF until you have to upgrade your injectors...or about 250 rwhp for an auto or about 260 for a 5-speed. Before that time, it really doesn't help out at all. Keep an eye out for group buys on MAF is you are set on upgrading though.

how can it be bad my uncle that races mustang and his friends takes ther ecm coolent temp senors and unplugs the senors and plug another on in ther to fool the ecm to make it think the engine is cool when its hot.

how can it be bad my uncle that races mustang and his friends takes ther ecm coolent temp senors and unplugs the senors and plug another on in ther to fool the ecm to make it think the engine is cool when its hot.

Just because your uncle does it, doesn't mean it's safe and it doesn't mean that it's not going to cause damage to the engine. It may not be as big of an issue with an N/A Mustang, but you do something like that on a SC and you'll be replacing pistons. Even changing the MAF with an aftermarket one with the proper air sampling tube needs to be fine tuned. The a/f ratio can be off enough to cause detonation at high boost...leading to HG failure or worse. I've seen too many SC fall victim to that.

The stock MAF is calibrated in the eec from Ford...you start messing with how the sensor reads the air flow, you can really mess some stuff up. The MN12 performance mod to the MAF was not tested to see if the voltage remains in parameters as air flow increases. The best he could do was by monitoring a/f ratios. Those are not always the best way to do it, as there are times when the changes are so sudden that the O2s don't pick up the difference.

Back