O-ringed Block/Heads

frdlvr30

Has anyone ever o-ringed an 3.8l? If so, What kind of details can you give me? Price? Headgaskets etc...? Thanks

My block is o-ringed. Stock gaskets. I cant remember the cost it was done when aall the other machine work was done.

Do it yourself?

I saw an article in Muscle Mustangs and Fast Fords Mag a few years back. They were showing how easy it is step by step. They actually did it in the car!! My motor is on the stand so...im seriously considering it....Dave

Just so you know, there are guys running over 20psi of boost that did not o-ring their block.

The Multi Layer Steel head gaskets available to us really remove the benefit or need of o-ringing the block. The steel withstands the compression forces, and allows the head to move slightly without blowing out the gasket. O-rings will withstand the compression but I personally feel our heads move around too much for making them a better option due to the only head gasksets available on with such.

I do wish something would have happened with those Titan SE head gaskets, but so far the MLS gaskets are holding.

Tim, what head gasket set are you running with the o-rings?

Stock gaskets wit ARP studs. I really shoulnt say this but so far so good. Iam only making 13 lbs of boost with my setup. MP2 15% od.

That's what I thought, wasn't sure if you went with copper. Figured something soft so it can deform to the o-ring shapes. MLS gaskets won't do that, and currently can't be used with o-ringed heads.

Has anyone ever o-ringed an 3.8l? If so, What kind of details can you give me? Price? Headgaskets etc...? Thanks

O-ringed Block

I have that (O-ringed block) with (reciver groove) in the heads with (copper head gasket) its the right way of dong it. I run a very high compression engine with 19.5lbs of boost in my SC. (Note) it takes special tooling to do this the cost is not cheap but well worth the price. With our experiance with Blown alcohol engine's and Nitrous mountain motors we did mine the same way hard runing 11 seconds with no problems at all do it right the first time

If interested in this e-mail me at j.demmitt@att.net well get you going

i had coy miller do mine. not sure how much it was. I'm runnin 8.5 compression and 19 pounds of boost and no probs yet. only been with this set up for 1700 miles so far. the old set up i was runnin 17 psi and that was like that for 18000 miles and no probs, and no signs of probs when i tore it down. use stock gaskets its just a groove cut into the block that holds the fire ring in place when the heads are torqued.

My engine is set at 9.95 compression. Yeah I know its high.:eek:

Mine is at 13.1 Compression with 19.5lbs of boost

If I had MLS or just O-ringed block with stock head gasket or Fel-Pro it would be history on the first pass. The MLS may be great for lower compression lower boost cars but to be (fail safe) get the block O-ringed and reciver groove in the heads with copper head gasket just my input. I been through the whole ball of wax and know what works best. The cost may be a factor but think of the repair bill if you blow the head gaskets my be worth the time money to do it like mine

Last edited:
if you run Coppers O-ring the block and the heads. also use ARP studs.

so far i run 30psi. and i use ARP studs and the Ford MLS gaskets. i have 8.2:1 compression. i have fun 24 psi on pump gas. the 30psi is with 110 octane.

Mine is at 13.1 Compression with 19.5lbs of boost

If I had MLS or just O-ringed block with stock head gasket or Fel-Pro it would be history on the first pass. The MLS may be great for lower compression lower boost cars but to be (fail safe) get the block O-ringed and reciver groove in the heads with copper head gasket just my input. I been through the whole ball of wax and know what works best. The cost may be a factor but think of the repair bill if you blow the head gaskets my be worth the time money to do it like mine

Jim,

MLS gaskets would work just as well on your motor, and wouldn't leak coolant like the copper gaskets do. When installed correctly, you will break a piston or bend a rod before blowing an MLS gasket.

Even with your higher base compression, my cylinder pressures are higher than yours are, especially when I'm on the bottle.

David

If I had MLS or just O-ringed block with stock head gasket or Fel-Pro it would be history on the first pass

I have run the oring heads/felpro head gaskets on my v8's forever without fail....SBF with stock heads experience the same problems that the 3.8's do with lifting. Of course I use aftermarket heads with a thicker deck which along with the orings and studs works amazingly well.

Havnt tried that combo on a 3.8 but for those who arnt going to refinish both thier heads and block for MLS it may be an option. Heck head studs with stock felpro gaskets work well

Last edited:
I have run the oring heads/felpro head gaskets on my v8's forever without fail....SBF with stock heads experience the same problems that the 3.8's do with lifting. Of course I use aftermarket heads with a thicker deck which along with the orings and studs works amazingly well.

Havnt tried that combo on a 3.8 but for those who arnt going to refinish both thier heads and block for MLS it may be an option. Heck head studs with stock felpro gaskets work well

I've used MLS gaskets on several motors with no block machining. Can't recommend it for obvious reasons but I've done it and it works. Ira's car is an example of such an application. At over 20psi his haven't failed.

My Felpro gaskets failed in short order on my car at 20psi. Up until I put on the AR I did not have any issues but when I pulled them off this last time I saw signs of leakage.

DAVE!..My fingers and brain operate at different speeds which can lead to some very interesting typing..I decided I would make a half way decent attempt at typing a little slower in the future:O)..Sometimes I scratch my head at what I just typed.

Now the way I see it is that head lift will occur regardless of what gaskets you use. If you don't properly machine surfaces for the MLS gasket you run the risk of leaking antifreeze or combustion pressure to the path of least resistance at the time. Once a head lifts the gasket is compromised be it an MLS of Felpro. With a standard felpro when a head lifts damage to the gasket occurs and the ring itself can move and distort. With the MLS it will not be as obvious as its metal layers and not a "ring" so to speak. Both get compromised regardless.

A copper gasket with orings is the ultimate in combustion sealing..However at the cost of potential antifreeze leaks (not to be confused with a blown head gasket)

If gaskets went so difficult to change on this motor I would experiment. I still like the oring/stock gasket idea..MLS nice if your doing a complete rebuild and just studs and standard felpros if you cant remachine surfaces.

Apparently our assumptions about heads lifting at 20 something psi is incorrect. I think heads lift due to detonation, not boost.

I've used MLS gaskets on several motors with no block machining. Can't recommend it for obvious reasons but I've done it and it works. Ira's car is an example of such an application. At over 20psi his haven't failed.

Shhhhhhh. :eek: Now you've gone and done it! ;)

Ira

Back