What is up with this SC!?!

5o4SHO

This car is making me mad. I was driving it today for about an hour and was cruising about 70mph on the Interstate when all of a sudden, the car feels like it hit a wall. Can barely move under its own power. Check engine light comes on, starts idling very rough. Idles at about 500rpm when in park. When i give it gas, it acts like it wants to cut out and die, but it never does. I swept my finger through the tailpipes and got alot of black soot, so im assuming its running rich. That and I can smell fuel pretty strong. What all should be the first things to check? I wanted to see what the code for the CE light was, but I have no clue how to pull codes on it. Autozone told me their code reader is no good on any car older than a 96. Someone please help me out!

Last edited:
mine did this with a bad o/2 sensor and the readers work great .i have a cheap auto zone one and its right on all the time on my 92 sc

You can buy a regular code scanner, they will read both obd I and obd II. In order to scan obd I you need to buy an adaptor cord. Some scanners include that cord, but you would have to check

maybe even a dis if its running bad, mine was like this it would run good one day and the next it would only seem like it was run on 3 cyclineds. Till finely it just stoped workin and i replaced it and now the car has been running good sence. might want to give this a thought might be your prob.;)

sensors

Wow you guys are awesome. Just for the hell of it, the first thing i tried this morning was to unhook the o2 sensors. I then started and boom back to normal. My question is, can I drive it w/o the o2s hooked up? Will that mess the car up? If not, where can i get a good deal on some o2 sensors for SCS?

Back