Ford/JBL Sound System

Racejoe

Hey guys, I have a 1994 SC and it has the JBL sound system in it (CD player, 2 amps and a powered sub under the package tray)

The powered sub was disconnected in the past because it drained the battery. Supposedly it was working when connected. I have reconnected it and as best I can tell it is not working.

Anybody got any thoughts on the likelyhood of repairing this powered sub? Or should I just start going aftermarket on the audio system?

i have a complete aftermarket system, which is very nice, but...

does the amp for the sub have power? Thats the first thing i'd check. Next, is there some setting to adjust the sub from the headunit?... i know my alpine can turn off just the subs if i want.
if you put in a CD and play a track that you know has some nice bass, you should hear a difference.
Just some thoughts, maybe someone with more experience w/ the stock system can chime in.

-Nick

What's the condition of the sub? You might not get much sound if the cone has separated from the surround (foam).
But as suggested, I would check for power at the amp.
Mike

Last edited:
Usually the sub will work even if blown..Perhaps the amp?....Try hooking teh sub up to another speaker source

I believe I have power available, but it is mostly disconnected. I have found one of the amp chips in the amp looks like it overheated and broke a piece off. I haven't tested the sub itself yet, but I will, to see how much repair is worthwhile. Anyone got one of these amps lying around?

Back