1995 5spd 5%OD Good or Bad

SilverBullitt

I have a 1995 5 speed with a full cat back exhaust, 3.27 gears, 3/4" raised top, CAI, intercooler fan, and a 5% OD Pulley. Here is my question...When I fist got this car...I would run a 9.7 in the 1/8th mile stock...withall of this done it will barely break a 9.49.5 run really hard...Should I be running alot faster than this? Would this have the fact to do that I am running a 5% pulley and the knock sensor is pulling timing to the car? My boost on the gauge almost pegs out at 5000 rpms...if this is the case what would be the best pulley to go with?...thx

Any belt slip?...Also try running some racegas...If you run better your definitely pulling timing. I been told 5% is to much however my one 95 ruan great with teh 5% jackshaft..My current ride has 5% and an89 pulley and it pings

We can't really answer your question since you didn't give us all the info, like 60' times before and after, if you have a tune, weather conditions, etc. With just 1/8 mile times and mods we can only make conjecture, and that's not going to help you.

I still say the 5% OD isn't a bad thing on the 94/95 cars. Anything more might be bad, but I noticed a definite improvement both HP and TQ wise when I installed mine back in the day...

3.27s definitely aren't helping him.

That's preaty weak with your mods.I just looked at my old time slip when I had MAC intake and cut -back exhaust only and 1/8 was 9.2.You should be pulling 8.9-9.1 in 1/8-th. with your mods.I think 5% od is good on 94-95 cars.I used to run 5%od on mine with some bolt-ons without any tuning and pulled 8.8 in 1/8.What were your 60 ft times?

how are 3.27's killing my 60ft time? I noticed a big improvement on acceleration when I installed them...maybe I am missing something?...also my time slip shows me running a 9.46 at 75 mph in the 1/8 with a 60ft time of 2.1 that is running street tires...thx

maybe someone can call me and explain this to me...I am going to be away from a cpu and could use the help...9036038153...thx

how are 3.27's killing my 60ft time? I noticed a big improvement on acceleration when I installed them...maybe I am missing something?...also my time slip shows me running a 9.46 at 75 mph in the 1/8 with a 60ft time of 2.1 that is running street tires...thx

But what was your 60' before installing the 3.27s? I'm going to guess it was around 2.1 seconds (which isn't all that spectacular*).

The reason 3.27s in 5spd cars suck is simple. First, you're most likely shifting into 2nd at or right before the 60' mark. Second, you're now either shifting into 4th right before the traps, or will be with a couple more bolt-ons. That's why 3.27s are killing your times.

IMHO, 3.08s are the way to go with the 5spd cars. You get a better gear selection for general street (no more cruising at 40mph in 3rd because 4th is too steep) and highway cruising, and better acceleration.

* I've pulled and seen others pull 1.9x 60' times on street tires.

how are 3.27's killing my 60ft time? I noticed a big improvement on acceleration when I installed them...maybe I am missing something?

The gear multiplication is higher so yes, it will feel like it's quicker. However, traction becomes a real issue and 1st gear is over way too soon. With stock gears you only shift 2x going down the track whereas with 3.27's you have to shift 3 times. That's time lost.

...also my time slip shows me running a 9.46 at 75 mph in the 1/8 with a 60ft time of 2.1 that is running street tires...thx
When my car was stock it (also a 5spd but without the benefit of a late model blower) ran 9.16 @ 76mph in the 1/8th with a 2.0 60 ft on real street tires (actually kind of like hockey pucks) and stock gears. Your mph is not bad and your 60 ft, while not great, isn't bad either. It's the shifting that is killing you.

To run that mph takes between 225-230rwhp so your car isn't making tons of power. It could easily make just as much power with a stock 89 blower pulley and it wouldn't get as hot doing it. People love to overdrive their blowers and then complain that the car has no top end. It's just a fact of how it goes. Overdriving the blower is going to kill top end. It will feel faster, just like the gears felt faster, but in the end it's not helping you run better.

My best (only ran twise) was a 9.2/76mph (1/8th mile)

93 Auto
stock gears
stock blower
1/4 tread street tires
I/C fan
5% Alluminum blower pulley
low-speed fan mod
removed air silencer
9" K&N cone, homebuilt intake tube
stock exhaust
70 degree day

Is that about right for what i have or a bit on the quick side? manualy shifted at 5k to 2nd and pulled it back into 1st to prevent an early 3rd shift seems like i was hitting 3rd right before the trap but can't remember for sure..

Probably more like 65f because it was right before the sun went down... and on 30degree days it runs like a raped ape! wish the track was still open :(

Last edited:
Back