help abs and brake light on

92sclikenew

ok my we have gotten our first snow yesterday here in michigan.well i drive my sc in the winter because its my only car for now.:rolleyes: anyways if i hit my brakes lightly my abs will work , if i hit my brakes hard the asb will not work and both the abs and brake lights will come on. now i dont know much about abs systems so any help would be great thanks. also somtimes the abs light will come on in light braking when the abs will still work. now could this be a bad pump or bad ball. :rolleyes:

First thing I would do is check the brake fluid level.....

It sounds like the pump motor or the accumulator could be on it's way out.....

Ive been through 3 bad balls my pump is still kicking but depending on how long your balls been bad will decide how much life is left in you motor. It has to work 10times as hard with a bad ball. I said balls to many times in one min lol.

You need to verify that the pump motor is actually doing its job.....

Pump the brakes about 20 times to discharge the pressure in the accumulator.....

Have someone turn the ignition key to on (KOEO) while you observe the pump motor operation.....

It should run from 30 to 60 seconds while it is charging the accumulator....

You will hear the pump motor start to bog down just before the pressure switch tells it to cut off.....

If the pump motor doesn't come on at all, it could be the brown relay on the PS firewall near the ARC sensor.....

If the pump motor runs all the time and never shuts off, it could be the accumulator or the pressure switch....

Mine ran non stop and it was the relay for me you can tell by wacking it. I hit mine with the end of a screw drive and wala the pump kicked off... 9 bucks. Too bad I bought the 200$ ball that I didnt need

Back