higher RPMS

sccrewzer

I have a 5 speed SC I just recently swapped the pumpkin out with an automatics pumpkin i live in southern cali. and use the highways often. my question is, is it bad to run my SC at 3000 rpms for a long periods of time? i also installed a raised top but I havent upgraded my exhaust can I blow a head gasket like that?

yeah, i dont like it, i have my 5-speed with a auto 3.27 rear end and i hate driving at 70 at 2300 rpms, i am thinking of putting in a 3.08 or go back to a stock 5 speed 2.73

you might run hot all the time and lose mileage...

I cant see any short term damage, most cars w/o Overdrive run that rpm on the highway. It might run alittle hot though and your gas milage will be dead. An sc engine vet or expert around here could help you out more.

Woops got beat to it....what he said lol

Is the raised top the only thing you've done so far on the blower? If you havent done anything like add a pulley to the blower or anything I dont see that causing a HG problem. I would definately open up that exhaust before you do anything to increase your boost though...

I have a 5 speed SC I just recently swapped the pumpkin out with an automatics pumpkin i live in southern cali. and use the highways often. my question is, is it bad to run my SC at 3000 rpms for a long periods of time? i also installed a raised top but I havent upgraded my exhaust can I blow a head gasket like that?

No it won't hurt anything to run at 3000 rpms....just uses more gas. Installing a raised top doesn't do anything for airflow until above 4500 rpms, and if your still using a stock supercharger pulley, MAF and TB it's not getting enough extra air to cause any problems.

David

Last edited:

Are you planning to cruise 100 + mph everywhere you go or what? I don't see how your 5 speed car with 3.27 or 3.31 would be anywhere near 3000 at normal cruising speeds in overdrive on the freeway. For reference I cruise around 80 to 85 mph in my 95 auto with 4.10 gears at less than 3000 rpm and have been doing so for the last year and a half without issue. I think the issues with low rear gears and the 5 speed is really only about making first gear useless and only adds the normal 200 to 500 rpm in OD just like it would in an auto.

Charles

5th in a 5spd is not the same as OD in the auto. 3.27's act like 3.55's on the highway and 3.55's act like 3.73's. In either case rpms are not a problem. Even if you did run 3000rpm all the time (you won't) it wouldn't hurt anything other than gas mileage and it will run a little warmer as David said.

Just to throw this out there, my car with an AOD and 3.73 gears is only doing 2500 at 70MPH, and 2700RPM at 80. At about 80 in 3rd, however, it's around 4100RPM. And at about 110 in OD it's around 4500PRM. ;)

Back