grooves worn on the driveshaft yoke... bad?

Jeremy_K

I'm half way through my 5 speed swap. My junkyard driveshaft has some shallow grooves worn around the yoke that goes into the tranny tailshaft. Should I be worried about the grooves leaking or anything? If so, Where can I get a new yoke? Can I use the one from my auto?

I'm half way through my 5 speed swap. My junkyard driveshaft has some shallow grooves worn around the yoke that goes into the tranny tailshaft. Should I be worried about the grooves leaking or anything? If so, Where can I get a new yoke? Can I use the one from my auto?

I'd put a new seal in the tranny. Yes, the yokes are the same. If you are changing the yoke it might be well to change the u-joint as well. They are cheap.

I was hoping I could use the yoke from my auto because it's flawless. Where can I get the spicer U-joints? Thanks guys

-Jeremy

I got mine from Oceanside Driveline. I'm sure a shop that rebuilds driveshafts or differentials could get you some in your area.

The driveshaft from one of my 93LX's had a serious groove in it, and it never leaked a drop. My 90SC has a groove as well and hasnt leaked (from there anyway) I did put a new seal in the tailhousing to prevent it though. I would do a new seal and use it.

If you replace the seal it will be fine. And no the yolks do not interchange. I had an issue with that already. Some years of AOD and M5R2 are different. Not sure on specifics, but try to slip it into the transmission. If it doesnt seat all the way then it won't work. I have a previosu thread on that already.

Back