Passive restraint conversion?

Kit Sullivan

This is an odd project, but I figured I'd ask anyway. Has anyone ever converted the passive belts from an early US-spec MN-12 to the Canadian-version that did not have passive systems?
The Canadian system has the standard retracting lap and shoulder belt assembly. The passive belt in mine is driving me nuts.
I figure that with all the correct parts from a Canadian car, it may be just a simple matter of switching out the parts.
Anyone ever done this?

You can get the parts from a 94 or newer american car. You'll need to swap out the rear sail panels as well. I've been wanting to do this as well but finding a 94 or newer interior the same color as mine in the junkyard has been tough. There are tons of tbirds there but not many cougars

I would do the conversion on my 93 in a heart beat but I have a black interior and I was told there are no 94/95 black interiors. Auto seat belts suck

Ken

No black interiors on later MN-12s? What about the SCs...surely they came with black interiors?

I belive the Canadian versions of these cars NEVER had the automatic belts. If I have to, I'll look for a Canadian parts car.

That's areal PITA to reach behind you to hook the shoulkder strap, and then to have to hookmthe lap belt seperatly.

I just got mine in the closed position and then using the access panel I disconnected the power connector to the motor. A real good reason to disable the auto is in an accident, if the door comes open, you will automatically have your selt belt undone.

Yep I already knew the canadian cars didnt have the auto belts, lucky them. I dont think I will see many of those in a Omaha junk yard. I printed the how to for replacing them and set out to find a 94/95 sc with black interior. One of my local club members, Thomas told me I was out of luck. I dont know if one can paint or dye panels black to match. I dont have much experence there. If I could solve the problem I would make that my next project. I really love the soft leather seats in my sc. I would love to come up with somekind of aftermarket seat belts that would work and look good with them

Ken

i did this swap to my 89 with the parts from a 93 canadian car. it was quite extensive if you want the job done all the way. as mentioned before, you will need the new sail panels (around the rear quarter window), the a pillar trim piece, the seatbelts themselves, the floor trim along the door, the seat frames, and some tools. the hole to mount the shoulder point is there when you remove the sail piece, but you need to run a tap through it to bolt it in. (i broke 3 taps doing this.:mad: ) the seat frame must be swapped and/or modified because the seatbelt retractor is built into the seat on the american car, and you end up with a seat belt that does nothing if you dont. (pic2) a solid days worth of work once you muster up all the parts, but highly worth while once its done. i'll answer any questions anyone has...

Attachments

• PC060187.JPG
    PC060187.JPG
    205.3 KB · Views: 142
  • PC060190.JPG
    PC060190.JPG
    217.9 KB · Views: 135
  • PC060188.JPG
    PC060188.JPG
    247.8 KB · Views: 147
That's areal PITA to reach behind you to hook the shoulkder strap, and then to have to hookmthe lap belt seperatly.

Not as big a pain as when the belt stays in the open position (complete with chimes and dash indicator lights), and won't move to the travel position until you turn the key off.

Sometimes the belt retracts when the door is opened and sometimes it doesn't.

David

I just got mine in the closed position and then using the access panel I disconnected the power connector to the motor. A real good reason to disable the auto is in an accident, if the door comes open, you will automatically have your selt belt undone.

The automatic seatbelts are disabled when the inertia switch opens in an accident.

You can paint the panels but making the seatbelt the same color could be a challenge:D . I pulled the fuse to my power seatbelts. I also had to unplug the door open/lights on chime. It stays on when you pull the fuse in the Power distribution box. Now I just slide my fat a$$ in under the seatbelt when I get in and out. Maybe someday I'll get lucky and find the burgandy interior from a late model cougar.

Can someone please post a picture of these acces panels ?

David

Hi David,
Sorry no picture (no 90 sc anymore). It is just inside the rear seat opening in the plastic kick panel. It is a plastic cover (in the kick panel) that pops off (with aid of screwdriver) to give you access to a wheel on the motor shaft that you can use to move the seatbelt manually (eat a good lunch b4 you start, takes FOREVER manually). It just so happens that the motor electrical connection is also right there. Disconnect and tape and you are done.

A different way is to unscrew the step plate in the doorway, so that you can un-pin the rear kick panel at the bottom. Next, pull out the rear seat bottom and you can peel the rounded edge of the rear kick panel back off of the door frame pillar. This way you can get a hand and a half or so in to hold the connector or get a better turn on the manual knob.
--Fred

Back