possable hg blown?

1owner89

I've had some bad luck with my car lately.
Driving in to work this morning while gunning it I lost most of my engine's power and it ran really rough. The vac/boost was still good no white smoke and the oil shows no signs of water. I shifted (auto) into drive and the tack never went above 1200rpm at highway speed and was jumping some. When I got to work I noticed a fuel smell outside. The hb bolt still has the head on it so it seems to be ok. So what do you guys think? HG or crank sensor/cam sensor/dis/etc.

Thanks for any help

just restarted it. Took a while before it would idle with out the gas down. It idles rough and about 100-200 rpm lower than normal. Vac is good and so is boost press when reved. There is a decent rattle coming from the middle or front of the engine that may be the hb but the bolt is still on there.

okay, do this, remove both accessory belt and jackshaft belt.... and try to see if ur HB wobbles, like see if it wobbles by moving it... if it does its dead :(

remember to remove your belts, remove the jackshaft to crankshaft, and the main accessory belt.... and see if it wobbles by moving it with ur hands

okay well I removed both belts and the crank pulley wouldn't move at all just as stout as always. It will start and stumble at about 500 rpm. If anyone has any ideas I'd appreciate the help.

I don't have a way to check fuel pres at work. I do get a cel when I get it started. I can give it gas and the engine will rev up and run smoother but that's not under any load.

Try driving with the MAF disconnected. It will give you a check engine light, but after it smoothes out, it should accelerate very well. Also I would check your air filter and housing to make sure that it hasn't become a home for some critters.

I disconnected the maf and checked the airfilter started it up and no change. Could it still be teh HG but not show the normal signs? This did happen at about 4500 rpm with around 14 psi.

Last edited:
when you say it lost power, did it completely die and act all super quiet like the car wasn't on at all? and then come back to life with the problem? I had a bad spark plug wire, and it would cause the car to cut out completely when I was on it. also, if you have a wire that's arching to the motor, it'll sound like a metalic knocking noise.

Not really, It lost most of it's power. It went from the normal supercoupe to what I would imagine a geo metro towing a boat would feel like. It took 3/4 pedal and shifted into 3rd to keep it at 55 mph on the interstate.

FIXED! well kinda

Turns out that my coil pack dropped a bank. The two on the driver's side went out. I was pulling each plug wire off one at a time thinking that if one of the wires were bad I could pull it off the coil and nothing would change. sure enough started at the opp end and when I took off the front driver side plug nothing changed. then I took off the rear driver side plug and is started to spark inside on the electrogel stuff and started to run better I replaced the rear driver side plug wire and all is good. So lookes like I may be in the market for one of those new screemin deamon coil packs.

To those who chimed in and those who looked.
Thanks to all for your help. This club is the best and I'll be a paying member as long as my SC can muster to turn over.

Back