Head torque specs!!!

Kurt13R

I have to take the heads off of my motor and put a heli coil in my number 2 spark plug. Does anyone have the specs on the heads such as the torque specs for tightening them down.

If you're using Head Bolts, then you need to purchase new bolts. I don't recall the procedure now, but it involves an initial torque and then a turn of the bolt measured in degrees.

If you're using ARP Head Studs, then you could probably go up to something like 65 foot pounds. I've done that on 2 motors and everything is still together; however, I'm running stock power levels.

I used ARP heads studs and the heads were tourqed to 70ftlbs. At 19psi I lifted the heads. I would suggest going to 55ftlbs and then to 85ftlbs. I did this and things are holding together quite nicely.

Marty

If you use Moly Lube with the ARP studs then you only need to torque them down to 80ftlbs. If you don't use any Moly Lube then 95-100ftlbs. would be required.

I'd torque them in stages with if you use moly lube having the final torque be 85ft/lbs (that's what I did mine). Then if you just use a 30wt motor oil for the lube take them to 90-95ft/lbs.

With the studs you need to make sure the bolt holes in the block are clear and clean, as the studs must sit down finger tight into the bottom of the bolt holes. If they don't you can have issues clearing the exhaust manifolds. and getting the bolts for the manifolds tight.

For sure... I have about 4 taps/thread-chasers that covered about every threaded-hole in the motor. On one of the main cap holes I had to tap that thing like 13 times before I got all the junk out of the threads. On my last bolt for the exhaust manifold, I got caught up on some sand left over from the guy that reconditioned the heads. Bolt got stuck and broke the head off the bold on the way back out. :eek:

With the studs you need to make sure the bolt holes in the block are clear and clean, as the studs must sit down finger tight into the bottom of the bolt holes. If they don't you can have issues clearing the exhaust manifolds. and getting the bolts for the manifolds tight.

Back