Something strange (fluid leak)

LJGriggs

I haven't had an opportunity to investigate the source yet, but I have a few ideas. I've recently noticed what I thought was just a stain (a dark spot about the size of your hand) on the floormat under the accelerator pedal. Then I noticed that I was getting a dark stain on the (right) heel of a pair of leather shoes. I decided to take a closer look at the mat and discovered that it is damp with an oily substance in that area. I don't know where it is coming from, but after doing some research on the board, I'm thinking that either the ABS actuator is leaking allowing some brake fluid to seep past the firewall, or I have the infamous firewall cracks allowing some other fluid to get into the passenger area. I have had a slight leak at the PS pump/lines for a while so that could be the source, but then yesterday I had to add some brake fluid because the warning light would flash when I hit the gas....
Anyway, I'll take a closer look this weekend and see if I find anything.
In the mean time, has anyone else experienced anything like this???

I haven't had an opportunity to investigate the source yet, but I have a few ideas. I've recently noticed what I thought was just a stain (a dark spot about the size of your hand) on the floormat under the accelerator pedal. Then I noticed that I was getting a dark stain on the (right) heel of a pair of leather shoes. I decided to take a closer look at the mat and discovered that it is damp with an oily substance in that area. I don't know where it is coming from, but after doing some research on the board, I'm thinking that either the ABS actuator is leaking allowing some brake fluid to seep past the firewall, or I have the infamous firewall cracks allowing some other fluid to get into the passenger area. I have had a slight leak at the PS pump/lines for a while so that could be the source, but then yesterday I had to add some brake fluid because the warning light would flash when I hit the gas....
Anyway, I'll take a closer look this weekend and see if I find anything.
In the mean time, has anyone else experienced anything like this???

I have not had the issue you are having but I think it would be more likely to have the master cylider leaking into the car rather than PS fliud getting into a firewall crack. Let us know what you find.

I thought the PS fluid was a long-shot, but that's the only leak that actually left a puddle on my garage floor... Maybe the ABS unit is leaving the puddle on my floor mat instead of the garage...

This is on my list of "things that need fixin" for this weekend...

Update... Found the source, now to find a fix...

My ABS unit is leaking fluid at the brake actuator rod. I checked the boot that covers the connecting rod that goes through the firewall and it had a fair amount of fluid in it... There must be a leaking seal between the actuator and the master hydraulic cylinder. Looks like I'll be pulling the unit for a closer inspection.:mad:

Let me know if you need any parts....

I have a few :rolleyes: ABS units in various stages of being parted out.....

Thanks "Big-E"

I might be contacting you...

We're going to have to start calling you "Radar".

That's funny... Or, maybe Cpl Klinger... Hey Big-E, you don't have a tendency to wear women's clothes, do you??? :D

Back