PDA

View Full Version : SCCOA! We need a Multimedia Update

Dahoopd
12-06-2006, 11:19 PM
The video that Rod made needs to be in there. The top SC slot has been updated but we need that video in the multimedia section. It was a bad arse video with the dude freaking out in the background over a V6 hitting 10's speaks for the growth of this community.

I personally think that things like this need to be the foremost with this club. If its funds, raise the membership. I would have posted this in the members forums but my memebership hasnt been updated yet.

(I dont know Dave, and I am by far kissing his arse. But give the guy his props. If you want members and you want to keep the SC alive......Git Er Dun!)

gldiii
12-06-2006, 11:50 PM
You don't need to SHOUT at us! We just need permission from the owner of the video and then someone needs to submit it or a place to download it from to Ron at scguys@sccoa.com and we will put it on the site. It is that simple.

Dahoopd
12-07-2006, 12:21 AM
You don't need to SHOUT at us! We just need permission from the owner of the video and then someone needs to submit it or a place to download it from to Ron at scguys@sccoa.com and we will put it on the site. It is that simple.

Come on George! There was no shouting involved. You are the site owner. I was just pointing out a request. I would think with the ability to control the site. You would have already made this happen. This is not like processing a membership (that often takes forever) this is hystory.

A mark a member has made. I would think that if you are running this site and collecting the dues. You would have already inquired to the video owner and moment holder themselves to boast the growth and acknowledge the standing.

You can bust my balls over a thread but allow a non paying individual no names stated (~~~~) to stir up many a thread and overlook it until it becomes a waste of site space. This is supposed to be a club, not a weekend roadtrip.

I am not knocking you or the site. Hell I would be still driving a mustang like the other premadonnas of the world if it wasnt for you and this site. This is supposed to be a club. This is not over a small thing, this is a top moment. I shouldnt have to search 50,000 threads to see the video of a mark made in SC hystory. Have you noticed that members dont post here as much as they used to?

dirtybird91
12-07-2006, 09:03 AM
Hell I would be still driving a mustang like the other premadonnas of the world if it wasnt for you and this site.

Hey! I take offence to that! I drive a moostang!:mad: :D :p

gldiii
12-07-2006, 09:45 AM
Dahoopd, my apologies, I don't post here enough to know that humor is no longer allowed in posts.

The point I was trying to make without success is that members should put some effort in the board. In the time you took to make these posts, you could have procurred the permission and the video for ALL to see. The club administrators have plenty to do and we rely on members and guests to help out where they can.

XxSlowpokexX
12-07-2006, 10:33 AM
I say we pan this post for in contains humour and such..>Carry on :O)

Dahoopd
12-07-2006, 12:22 PM
Dahoopd, my apologies, I don't post here enough to know that humor is no longer allowed in posts.

The point I was trying to make without success is that members should put some effort in the board. In the time you took to make these posts, you could have procurred the permission and the video for ALL to see. The club administrators have plenty to do and we rely on members and guests to help out where they can.

George,

If I had the ability. I would have asked for Rod/Daves approval and placed it in the media section. I would help in anyway....without sex/violence/nudity/personal opinions involved. I understand the tasks the admin has to deal with. I just think there are issues that should be priority and boasting the sites cause is #1.

(Removed by Admin)

gldiii
12-07-2006, 01:40 PM
If I had the ability. I would have asked for Rod/Daves approval and placed it in the media section.

Your fingers seem to be working on the keyboard you could always PM, email or request in a non-tech post. I realize you cannot post it in the section, but I was only asking for someone to get permission and let us know.

Here, I'll do it:

Rod/David may we have a link to the video and your permission to post on our site? I'll also send an email and a PM. Done!

Ira R.
12-07-2006, 01:45 PM
Your fingers seem to be working on the keyboard you could always PM, email or request in a non-tech post. I realize you cannot post it in the section, but I was only asking for someone to get permission and let us know.

Here, I'll do it:

Rod/David may we have a link to the video and your permission to post on our site? I'll also send an email and a PM. Done!

Hey, no fair!!!:eek: I was going to do that!!! :p ;) :D

Ira

Dahoopd
12-07-2006, 02:10 PM

No apologies needed. I guess I could have done what you have....just didnt think about it. Poor judgement as a member.

David Neibert
12-07-2006, 04:47 PM
Got George's PM.

Sure....that would fine with me. Now we just need a good quality video to upload. I've already contacted Rod and Kurt K (who also took a video) to see if they can get the videos hosted somewhere they can be downloaded from.

David

gldiii
12-07-2006, 04:52 PM
David, they could also just mail me a CD with the files if that is easier.

David Neibert
12-11-2006, 10:21 AM
George,

Got a very high quality video (321 MB) of the 10.68 pass from Kurt K. last night, and will be mailing the CD to you today. I'm also sending a compressed version on the same CD that is only 15.7 MB but requires a DivX download to view.

David

Kurt K
12-11-2006, 11:41 AM
You're welcome :D :p

The bigger file is uncompressed because I didn't have enough time to find my compression tools that I would normally use. I'm sure Ron or somebody can compress it. I specifically didn't make it a .wmv because I've heard mac users have troubles viewing that file type (although, that might not be the case now).

blkthndr
12-11-2006, 12:27 PM
If someone can email it to scguys@sccoa.com, I can upload it more quickly than the cd method.

David Neibert
12-11-2006, 12:35 PM
You're welcome :D :p

The bigger file is uncompressed because I didn't have enough time to find my compression tools that I would normally use. I'm sure Ron or somebody can compress it. I specifically didn't make it a .wmv because I've heard mac users have troubles viewing that file type (although, that might not be the case now).

Thanks Kurt.

David

David Neibert
12-11-2006, 12:40 PM
Ron,

I don't have the software or knowhow to compress the file small enough to e-mail it. If you have a link to a server that I can upload to...that would be much easier.

David

Dahoopd
12-11-2006, 01:47 PM
Get er dun Gents. Wasnt trying create so much damn drama but the site needs the video.

Kurt K
12-11-2006, 02:07 PM
If someone can email it to scguys@sccoa.com, I can upload it more quickly than the cd method.

I'll see if I can't host the smaller version on my google pages when I get home tonight. I'll send you a pm with the address if I can do it. I know I cannot host the uncompressed version.

racecougar
12-11-2006, 07:58 PM
I'll get the uncompressed videos that I have of the 10.68 pass on a CD tonight and I'll try to get it mailed out tomorrow.

Kurt's video will probably be better than the ones that I have though.

-Rod

blkthndr
12-12-2006, 01:07 PM
We should be able to host the uncompressed and compressed videos without much trouble.

hunterd557
12-21-2006, 04:37 AM
Sure, straight line is fun, but wouldn't it be nice to see some REAL driving for a change?

LOL!

I mean, I for one am all about seeing a Tbird hit the slalom at the highest speed possible or watching one of our members bang a hard right hander at top speed. I mean come on, every other forum I've been a member of, RX7 Club, Bimmer forums, Club 240; they all show some really nice driving skill from their members. What do we have, burnouts, donuts and quarter mile. I think I'm beginning to see where domestics get their reputation from.

These are very great handling cars and I for one will be submitting my hottest autocross, rally cross and drifting videos as soon as this car hits the track. You can believe that!

I'll put my racing license and my instructor's certificate on that one. Nothing beats autocross and track racing, nothing! Sure, I can put my foot down in a quarter mile and make a xx second pass, and sure it takes skill to maintain the best launch and shifting, but can teach my little sister to go straight, "just hold the car forward sweety....there you go" LOL!

Let's see some more members submitting their best lap times, not their best ET's . . .lets see some cornering action, not some smoke and rubber. On that note, if we make smoke and rubber, lets see it held out sideways as opposed to just held out!

I for one am all about the skill of the driver, not the power of the car . . . .let the flaming begin...

-Dave

David Neibert
12-21-2006, 10:27 AM
I for one am all about the skill of the driver, not the power of the car . . .

I have almost no driving skill, so I compensate with more power.

David

PS: The only reason me and a lot of other guys in this club even go to the track....is to see how fast the cars really are.

fast Ed
12-21-2006, 10:38 AM
Sure, straight line is fun, but wouldn't it be nice to see some REAL driving for a change?

LOL!

-Dave

Dave, I usually do at least a few open-track events each summer, but have never had a camera in the car. I'll have to try to borrow one, and see if I can get a mounting point rigged up. Generally they get mounted to the roll bar, but my SC isn't equipped with one. I was thinking about just getting a 4-point bar, but then I found out that dragstrip rules require you to have forward side bars as well, it has to be at least a 6-point ... that I don't want to have.

Anyway, if I do get some good video in 2007, I'll be sure to make it available here. This past summer I ended up instructing at 5 different track events, and 2 of them were at Mosport, which always looks great on camera because of the huge elevation changes there.

cheers
Ed N.

Kurt K
12-21-2006, 11:26 AM
Dave, I usually do at least a few open-track events each summer, but have never had a camera in the car. I'll have to try to borrow one, and see if I can get a mounting point rigged up. Generally they get mounted to the roll bar, but my SC isn't equipped with one. I was thinking about just getting a 4-point bar, but then I found out that dragstrip rules require you to have forward side bars as well, it has to be at least a 6-point ... that I don't want to have.

Anyway, if I do get some good video in 2007, I'll be sure to make it available here. This past summer I ended up instructing at 5 different track events, and 2 of them were at Mosport, which always looks great on camera because of the huge elevation changes there.

cheers
Ed N.
Ed,

I've got a camera mount that mounts to the headrest posts on the seat. Rod used it at the shootout for in-car footage and I have a video in the MM section from the in-car camera while at the local track. Anyway, the mount was something like $30 or $40 dollars, I think. I can get you the web address if you are interested.

hunterd557
12-21-2006, 01:44 PM
Wow, you guys are awesome!!!!

Had this been like, oh I don't know, a Chevy forum, the flaming would have started 16 seconds after that post. I think they have an auto-flame-bot that takes care of young punks like me, LOL!

I was waiting for the inevitable muscle king to say, "Do you know how much skill it takes to control a 9 second car down a track?" To questions like that, I simply respond, "Yes!" *long pause* . . . . .*Yells from across the room* "I'm a racing instructor . . . it's ma job baby!" HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

But anyway, I'm really happy to see more people actually for the idea of seeing some more testiments to the actual chassis engineering of this vehicle, and I can't wait to see some videos.

You guys can believe that once she gets running, my video camera is going to STAY in my car, I've got a nice 800 watt power inverter and it will look nice sitting in my car (it's black and red also ^_^)!!

I don't care if I have to duct tape that thing to my head rest (I've done it before, LOL) I'll get us some videos because honestly, when I purchased this car and sent my 15 bucks into SCCOA, I thought that I was joining a team that was filled to the lid with drag racers and I was like; *slaps forehead* DOH!

Oh well, I guess I really am just about pushing the limits of the vehicle all around and nothing does that better than life on the road course. This car has SERIOUS potential (I say that about all cars, but this time I SERIOUSLY . . . . .SERIOUSLY mean it) and I will exploit that. It feels like it won't take much to make this into a road course car, and when I bring it to my home course (Lime Rock anyone!) we'll see just what it will take.

Of course, I would do it even if I had a GNX or something of lesser handling.

Is anyone with me on this one? I mean, I know we have a lot of Quarter-Mile Kings here and I don't want to step on anyones toes, but I can get a thread going or something like that and we can post up events and lowest lap times.

My website, http://www.nightmajik.net (that's my racing team's site) has two seperate divisions, MANEDA and Night Majik Enterprises, we also have a forum and blog. Long story short, we can use that as like a starting point as to how we post up track events. My members are always up to something and it's fun to see them posting these events up, although the forum is a little dead right now, but that's mostly because we're just starting out.

ANYHOO!

Like I started out with, then digressed, we need to get more driving action going on here. We can't let the Japanese and European guys rule the circuit and autocross! It's not right, if a 4200 pound Volvo Wagon (my friend Mark) can run in HSP and set lap time records, then why can't we?! I've seen 7 Series BMW's at the circuit (Lime Rock, Leguna Seca and VIR) and also at the autocross, we can get that going.

And what about rally cross, I'm actually one of the east coasts ONLY host of rally cross events locally and across the seaboard, so why don't we get a few of these cars sliding around in the dirt. I know people fear change, and driving in a dirty, muddy field probably sounds like a bad idea. But I use to compete in my Neon and I know that it's possible with ANY car you can get in the grass.

Just let me know guys, if you all are serious, I'll bust my hump throughout the winter to MAKE SURE that we have events scheduled and venued for the start of the spring season.

Thank you,
-Dave

David Neibert
12-21-2006, 04:40 PM
Dave,

You would probably get more responses posting this topic over on the Non Technical forum. It also wouldn't hurt if you could post some samples of the type of videos you would like to see.

Anything that keeps an SC/XR7 out of the bone yard or crusher is a good thing in my book.

David

Here's a link to a thread about road racing you might be interested in.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83916

Mike8675309
12-22-2006, 12:07 AM
If you have Windows XP, you have Windows Movie Maker. It's very easy to make small movies with it. Next shootout maybe we'll have a computer user session with some basic skills teaching?

Ira R.
12-22-2006, 01:07 AM
.........nevermind.........

XxSlowpokexX
12-22-2006, 01:58 AM
I think I'm beginning to see where domestics get their reputation from.

Speaking of which I just saw Pinks tonight where a poor turbo civic got his turbo handed to him by a 3rd gen firebird.

A majority of guys with SC's like SC's because they handle..Not because they are quick..But my biggest complaint is how slow they are...So that gets first attention for me.

And they make tripod roof kits for cars that autocross and road race...And drift

hunterd557
12-22-2006, 08:02 AM
If you have Windows XP, you have Windows Movie Maker. It's very easy to make small movies with it. Next shootout maybe we'll have a computer user session with some basic skills teaching?

Thanks, however, I actually did an internship with Squaresoft (before they were Square Enix) through Full Sail, so video making is in my blood.

Here's a sample of something I've thrown together in a few hours:

http://www.nightmajik.net/DomesticDriftersUnite.WMV
(I'll be sure to post that in the appropriate section as well)

But anywho, that was made using Vegas . . .I remember when I recieved that program in the mail along with DVD Architect and Sony Acid 5, I must have danced in a circle for 20 minutes. After that I promised all of my friends that I would strive to make the hottest video's ever.

...haven't failed them so far . . . hehe.....

-Dave

EDIT: Here's some T-Bird action from my boy Slidebird91 from www.driftingforums.com: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CA9w9rtXm_4

Kurt K
12-22-2006, 09:57 AM

That's true you can make small movies with Windows Movie Maker, but the only available movie type is .wmv which didn't used to be a viewable movie type for mac users (although I don't know now). A .avi with divx compression usually works well. Of course then some people have problems because they don't have the right codec installed on their computer.

hunterd557
12-22-2006, 10:10 AM
That's true you can make small movies with Windows Movie Maker, but the only available movie type is .wmv which didn't used to be a viewable movie type for mac users (although I don't know now). A .avi with divx compression usually works well. Of course then some people have problems because they don't have the right codec installed on their computer.

Come on, Kurt . . . .I'm the greatest . . . .refer to post above, hehe ^_^

-Dave

Kurt K
12-22-2006, 11:23 AM
Come on, Kurt . . . .I'm the greatest . . . .refer to post above, hehe ^_^

-Dave
Still looks like a .wmv file to me :rolleyes:

hunterd557
12-22-2006, 04:42 PM
Still looks like a .wmv file to me :rolleyes:

BAH!

LOL!

That's only because WMV has unrivaled compression per kilobit, you can't touch it's audio and video quality. MPEG is out of the question over the net and avi compresses nicely but loses quality.

I've been experimenting with WMV V9 and VX, but when I publish DVD's they're purly in MPEG2 with True51, True61 and TrueEx surround sound, depending on the application.

Divx is good stuff, but once again we're starting to play with MPEG and MPEG doesn't like to compress. Not saying it WON'T, but it doesn't like it, you start recieving pixleation and framedrop depending on how the compression was done.

What I find works for MPEG and AVI is progressive compression, in which you compress a large file to a not-so-large file, then compress THAT down, then so on and so forth.

WMV, you take it from 100MB to 27MB with very little quality loss, it's amazing. Another CODEC that is starting to become more popular with FMV sequencers is XVID, it's another one to look out for in the upcoming years. I remember sampling together some stitching that the renderer's threw together and we used XVID while it was still in it's beta form and we were shocked that it could compress a 640x480 file to the same resolution but still maintain full resolution and give it half the filesize. That's mostly because it works on the premise that our brain doesn't see "everything" and thus knows where it can pull. We call these "smart codecs".

Nothing short of amazing! There are soo many codecs to choose from, but Square (back before Square Enix once again) has a proprietary codec called .sqs (SQuareSoft, wooo) and it doesn't compress very well at all, which is while FFX and FF XI had some of the largest filesize FMV's but were beautiful. Where SQS goes into play is with audio, because that's the killer of it about 40 percent of the time.

Audio is a major onsought with compression because if you compress to greatly and you have this horrible audio with stagnant delay echoing and fading in and out, it's horrible. Conversly, if you don't compress enough, you have these ASTRONOMICAL file sizes that make you want to kick your partner in the nuts and scream CAPTAIN PLANET!!!!

When you get it just right, you get a sweet blend of livable filesizes, excellent video and nice audio. But this is where things get REAL complicated because you have to worry about compatibility.

You can be setup to view MPEG video, but if your computer doesn't understand OGG VORBIS, then you can't use that codec because that codec uses that form of audio compression. Just like my distro of Linux didn't understand WMA or MP3, so while I got great video, my audio was missing, I had to incorporate that into my OS before it would work properly.

*Sigh* Unfortunately, and fortunately at the same time, there is too much involved with this to put it all in one post, but if anyone has any questions about how this stuff actually works or how it's applied you can feel free to PM me.

TTFN,
-Dave

Mike8675309
12-22-2006, 08:29 PM
Use the DV-AVI option in windows movie maker to create an AVI file. Then You can use many different free options on the AVI file to convert into Divx, mp2, all sorts.

A great place to start that will help you find free or cheap software that can do lots of stuff is doom9.net
http://www.doom9.org/

I'm using Windows Movie Maker to edit my shootout video. I then save the compilation to DV-AVI and bring it into TMPGEnc 4.0 XPress for some video clean up (brighten the night shots by adjusting luminence and gamma) and then conversion to mp2. I'm then using TMPGEnc DVD Author to author the mp2 files into the final DVD and build the dvd menu.

You need a good amount of disk space to play with files this way.

note that VirtualDub is one of the more popular cheap /free AVI editors available out there.

hunterd557
12-22-2006, 09:12 PM
You talkin to me? LOL, just messin with ya! LOL!

Nah, I've got the codec thing figured out . . .I sometimes go on these edjumakational speals that go on for a seemingly endless amount of time.

My friend Donny uses virtual dub in association with Adobe Premiere. I use Sony Vegas simply because I've already superceded it's learning curve through Full Sail ( www.fullsail.com ) and I like it's level of mastery and remastery.

Donny does a lot of low-end and homebased video creation and editiong and I find that for projects such as that, Adobe Premiere is the greatest. It takes up very few resources (outside of rendering) and it has a plethora of options to use with an intuitive user interface with a lurning curve of about 2-4 weeks for complete knowledge.

Sony tends to go a little more in depth as this is the same software that they use for their own movies and video games, so they are essentially giving us the same tools they have to make their own movies, commercials, songs and video games. In fact, through Full Sail, I learned that the only difference between being a home producer and actually working at Sony is the actual equipment they use. The tools, device sigs and codecs available are all the same, pretty cool huh???

-Dave

David Neibert
01-08-2007, 05:06 PM
George & Ron,

Any progress toward getting that video I sent you posted to the multi-media section ?

David

gldiii
01-08-2007, 08:04 PM
I was able to upload the smaller file, but not the larger file. Ron is installing a link to the smaller file and I am shipping him the CD for him to upload the larger file.

Mike8675309
01-08-2007, 10:22 PM
One note on multi-media. About a year ago I placed the Adam Mullen video on grouper. Yesterday I got an e-mail from them that it violates their TOS due to the copyrighted song in it. Keep that in mind when making stuff for online distribution.

Those unfamiliar with Adam, look here
http://www.sccoa.com/member/adammullen.php

hunterd557
01-08-2007, 11:14 PM
One note on multi-media. About a year ago I placed the Adam Mullen video on grouper. Yesterday I got an e-mail from them that it violates their TOS due to the copyrighted song in it. Keep that in mind when making stuff for online distribution.

Those unfamiliar with Adam, look here
http://www.sccoa.com/member/adammullen.php

Wow, that's completely ~~~~. So you mean everyone that decides to make a compilation or slideshow has to contact the label and the artist before posting it up on a free location without any profit being made. That, by law, doesn't violate copyright due to the fact that no funds are being transferred or accumulated. (The same arguement with file sharing, it's legal as long as no one makes money)

-Dave

David Neibert
01-09-2007, 02:17 PM
I was able to upload the smaller file, but not the larger file. Ron is installing a link to the smaller file and I am shipping him the CD for him to upload the larger file.

Okay...thanks for the quick response.

David

AMD[H]unter
01-10-2007, 08:02 PM
If y'all need webspace for the transfer of the video, I am more than happy to provide some. Let me know.

blkthndr
01-11-2007, 02:30 PM
Here is the video:

http://www.sccoa.com/multimedia/GIR_10-20-2006_hi-res_0001.avi

Kurt K
01-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Hey Ron, I know this is going to sound stupid coming from me, but for some reason I cannot see the video, I can only hear it. They just updated my work computer yesterday so I will try viewing from home later.

David Neibert
01-11-2007, 04:19 PM
Thanks, Ron....Will you also be posting the link on the multimedia page ?

David

David Neibert
01-11-2007, 04:21 PM
Hey Ron, I know this is going to sound stupid coming from me, but for some reason I cannot see the video, I can only hear it. They juct updated my work computer yesterday so I will try viewing from home later.

Kurt,

Same here until I downloaded DivX player.

David

Dahoopd
02-01-2007, 09:35 PM
Come on! I got issues right now and cant find the 10.68 run to relieve my pain. Butt Nekkit magazines dont do it like the video. I am trying to show the vid to my daughter. Anyone have a direct link other than the long awaited multimedia.

Kurt K
02-02-2007, 12:41 AM
Come on! I got issues right now and cant find the 10.68 run to relieve my pain. Butt Nekkit magazines dont do it like the video. I am trying to show the vid to my daughter. Anyone have a direct link other than the long awaited multimedia.

Umm, isn't this what you are looking for?

Here is the video:

http://www.sccoa.com/multimedia/GIR_10-20-2006_hi-res_0001.avi

Dahoopd
02-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Umm, isn't this what you are looking for?

That link doesnt work, maybe its the PC. I will have to check it out on another. Thanks for posting it.

Kurt K
02-02-2007, 02:35 PM
That link doesnt work, maybe its the PC. I will have to check it out on another. Thanks for posting it.

Try

Right Click, Save As

As mentioned above, you will need Divx to get the correct codec to view the file. Without it, you will just get sound.

David Neibert
02-13-2007, 09:49 AM
Ron & George,

Thanks....the link to the 10.68 video in the Multimedia section is up and working fine now.

David

Dahoopd
02-13-2007, 11:58 AM
Why cant I view the video. Windows Media opens and the sound clip plays but the video doesnt.

David Neibert
02-13-2007, 01:59 PM
Why cant I view the video. Windows Media opens and the sound clip plays but the video doesnt.

Go here and download the DivX player.

http://www.divx.com/

David

Dahoopd
02-13-2007, 02:15 PM
How come you guys used that video and not the one that was taken from the otherside of the track. I thought it was a better video.

gldiii
02-13-2007, 02:32 PM
Because, Dahooped, that was the only video we received.

David Neibert
02-13-2007, 03:41 PM
How come you guys used that video and not the one that was taken from the otherside of the track. I thought it was a better video.

Mainly because the sound was better.

David