Broken motor mounts

NightMare3.8

hey everyone i just noticed today that i must have a broken motor mount. i had the hood open and was looking for this massive boost leak ive got and noticed that when i put it in gear the friggen motor would jump. then if i powerbrake it to the point where the tires are about to break loose the motor raises on the driver side really high. so this brings me to my questions...

how long will i be able to drive this normally with out doing any damage
how hard will it be to fix this
and what harm can be caused by this

thanks for all the help!

Get some solid rubber mounts, might as well do the trans mount too.

Can cause the oil pan to rub on the subframe and destroy the ps pressure line. My 92 leaks from the pressure line cuz the mounts are toast.

how long will i be able to drive this normally with out doing any damage
how hard will it be to fix this
and what harm can be caused by this

thanks for all the help!

• I wouldn't go too long this way as (from reading) you could cause an oil leak. I don't know how long my 95 was broken, I purchased it that way.
  • I recommend the solid rubber mounts. I put them in my 95 just recently (which I still have apart) and last year in my 90. I also did the tranny mounts too.
  • There's several ways to remove these. I did it with the car up on stands and a jack and board under the oil pan. Also removed the upper exhaust, fan, Intake tube, IC tubes, accessory bracket and driver side exhaust manifold. Some people maybe can suggest other ways but I didn't see any other way from the top, without lowering the sub frame. There's plenty to think about when you do the replacement so I added a few other mods during reassembly not related to the mounts but since all that stuff had to come off it only made sense.
  • If you buy aftermarket, when you assemble your new mounts be sure you clean the threads on your attachment hardware. I broke the bolt that screws in under the sub frame and ended up cutting the bracket off. It took we too weeks to find a replacement. Also note the brackets on the 94 and 95 are different from the ones on the 89-93 so if you need one, get it from the correct year.
  • When putting them back in, attach the three bolts to the engine first and then lower it onto the sub frame.

Read through these documents too as they are very helpful
http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12parts/em/3.8_5.0_EM-install.pdf
http://www.mn12performance.com/mn12parts/em/SCEM-install.html

moter mounts

my 91 rubbed through power sterring line, replaced with solid mounts, wasnt easy but not as hard as head gaskets. came close to rubbing through the oil pan! that would have been BIG TROUBLE. I rigged a plate onder the oil pan to make sure it never gets rubbed through. try the search engine for motor mounts an you will find lots of info. The forum search engine is my best friend and mabey close to a SC GOD!

Back