Please Please help!!!!!

badfreakinbird

I was driving my new SC 93 5 speed to work this morning and I noticed that it was lacking its normal strength. It is as if it was only working on 3 cylinders. and the engine got real hot real fast. very little power on take off. I got to work and opened up the hood becouse I saw a little smoke. and the exhaust manifold was red hot Has any one else had this problem? I just changed out my stock pipes for a flowmaster resonator and catback system I also went catless and kept the stock manifolds. car was Idleing funny last week and had some starting issues but I replaced The IAC and the Cam sensor and it was riding ok till the powerloss today. I actually noticed it yesterday but I only went to the store and back. Any advive is much appreciated.

Isiah M

I was driving my new SC 93 5 speed to work this morning and I noticed that it was lacking its normal strength. It is as if it was only working on 3 cylinders. and the engine got real hot real fast. very little power on take off. I got to work and opened up the hood becouse I saw a little smoke. and the exhaust manifold was red hot Has any one else had this problem? I just changed out my stock pipes for a flowmaster resonator and catback system I also went catless and kept the stock manifolds. car was Idleing funny last week and had some starting issues but I replaced The IAC and the Cam sensor and it was riding ok till the powerloss today. I actually noticed it yesterday but I only went to the store and back. Any advive is much appreciated.

Isiah M

Were the exhaust manifolds actually glowing red/orange....one side only or both ?

When you say the car got hot real quick, are you talking about coolant temp ?

David

Yes the drivers side manifold was glowing orange. and I was talking about temp gauge in dash. I also apparently have a vacuum leak cause vac at idle is 11. I turned the car on on my break and it turned right on but the strength is not there. takes forever to get to 30 miles an hour and if its uphill its worse.

Since you have a glowing exhaust manifold I am going to say it is a fuel problem. Clogged up fuel filter or a bad fuel pressure regulator are your biggest possibilities. I suggest you check the fuel pressure first.

Are there actually cylinders not firing or do you say it just feels like it? There's a huge difference in sound whenever even one cylinder isn't firing and if it is more than one missing out, it won't run.

Stay out of boost if the exhaust manifolds are getting that hot.

Couldn't the glowing exhaust manifold be caused by a timing issue? Shouldn't he check the balancer as well, since it is showing signs of lost power? Check the coilpack too. If a coil goes out, it will drop two cylinders.

Last edited:
I was leaning towards a fuel problem.Does anyone know where the fuel pressure regulator is? I bought this car about 3 weeks ago and it had been sitting for 2 years I replaced the fuel filter,oil,plugs,wires,air filter,trans flush,thermostat 180,coolant temp sensor, exhaust minus the stock manifolds.

the FPR is behind the return plenum. There is a schrader valve on the fuel rail to check the pressure. 35-40 psi at idle is sufficient. Pressure should increase one psi per 1 lb. of boost. On leak down, it should hold pressure for about 15 minutes before it starts to drop.

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=50353&highlight=glowing+exhaust+manifold

http://www.sccoa.com/forums/showthread.php?t=28866&highlight=glowing+exhaust+manifold

This one is kinda long, but his problem was O2 sensors were bad and he needed an IAC. You can try unplugging the O2 sensors and see how it does like that.

Last edited:
So Tommorow I will check the coil pack and the FPR hope that solves this.Also can the FPR be cleaned out or should I just replace it? Let me know if there is anything else I should check. hope I can make it home its only about 5 miles. Thanks guys ill keep you updated.

Last edited:
OK I took a look at the FPR this morning and saw that the hose that is connected to the top of the FPR was not connected to the Plenium. I connected it but my manifold is still GLOWING RED after about 5 min. How should I check my coil pack?

Check the coilpack by pulling wires off one at a time to see if it makes a difference in how the motor runs. You can check for vacuum leaks with propane or carb cleaner. The idle will go up when a leak is detected. Did you unplug the O2s yet to see if that made a difference?

Well since im on vacation all month I decided that I would take apart the top end and put it all back togethr since my valve covers have a leak. I will also change out my fuel filter FPR and filter, coil pack for one of those screamin demons.

Suggest pulling the spark plugs on the side that is getting hot. Since the FPR was unplugged it most likely went very lean and probably burnt the ground straps off the plugs. That could explain why raw fuel is getting into the exhaust manifold and burning there causing it to glow.

If they are indeed damaged, change the other side too.

David

PS: You should have been getting a check engine light because of a lean and rich condition.....did you ?

No check engine light at all. just started noticing that the car wasnt moving/no power takes like 20 seconds to get to 30 miles an hour. Anyways I tore down the top end and Ive already found 3 vacuum leaks which Ive fixed and my sc pipes were loose so Ill make sure they are nice and tight when put it all back together. Valve covers gaskets need replacing so Ill do that today. I didnt think of checking the plugs. will do that before putting everything back together.when you guys say run the car without o2 sensors, Am I to cap the holes or run it without capping them?

No question is dumb.

Sorry about not getting back to you sooner, I have been working. If you still need those parts let me know. I can try and stop by my storage place today and pull them out.

Ok Im still having the glowing manifold problem. Ive changed the Fuel pressure regulator, fuel filter,255 fuel pump,Screamin demon coil pack, and swaped out dis modules. Off subject ,I rebuilt the SC nose and changed out Diff bushings which fixed the cluncking sound when I shift. I will unplug my O2 sensors tommorow and check plugs but none of this has fixed the Glowing Manifolds or the lost power. My VAC is at 10 at Idle and I cand find the leak.We tryed spraying starting fluid neer the firewall and no change . Other than the O2s and the plugs what else can I check? I have no Cats. new plugs, new IAC and new cam sensor.

Back