Coolant chemical test kit...where to get it? Less than 2k on rebuild and hg's gone?

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Im pissed...less than 2k miles on my 89's rebuild and i *might* have leaking hg's. For the last two months or more the car has been in stands getting headers, exhaust, ESM 10 rib kit, and a few other goodies...i finish yesterday, take the car out for a good spin (hauls @ss!!!), get back in the driveway pop the hood and what do I see? FREAKIN BUBLES IN THE OVERFLOW TANK:mad: !

Like i said, its been less than 2k miles since the rebuild, all new felpros, ARP headstuds for freaking Christ sake! All torque specs were carefully done, all block surfaces were machined, heads were checked ok (more details on what I have in my member page). No visible coolant leaks, rad cap was changed, no coolant in oil or vice versa. There's a few weird things, all of a sudden i've lost my heat but feeling both heater core hoses they get warm, upper and lower rad hoses get warm (after a few minutes when the tstat opens, so t stat is working).

In any case, i dont wanna mess with the whole diagnosis thing and I just want to find out if tehre's traces of exhaust gases in the coolant. Does anybody know where I can get this sniffer kit?

PISSED OFF!

Did you bleed the system BTW? Loss of heat can be a symptom of low antifreeze level..Check the obvious first and good luck

OMG...great system! I dont know how this is not a 'popular' thing among our crowd since we suffer from all of these hg issues. Its sure, easy and cheap! Not a bad $50 investment considering it can be reused.

Guess what!? I got this:

fluid.jpg

and I feel like this:

fingerbird.jpg

Yea, it’s a bitch when it turns yellow… :(

I have felt like that also sometimes, I had a bad fan plug that caused mine to overheat (Which it never gets over 1/3 of the way normally) and floated a head which I need to change the HG’s out, have a total of about 3K on this top end.

Mine bubbled from the overflow for 4 days after I had the cooling system open. The heater also didnt work... Is there any chance of a false positive on that test from the last blown HG's you had???

Back