need upholstery advice

J

j rick kirby

I love my 89SC and have done lots of mods to make it go fast but now the 13 year old leather is not looking to good.New leather would cost 2x what the car is worth.What have you guys done,seat covers,vinyl or what?

I went with vinyl+cloth to replace my worn out vinyl+leather. The results were pretty good. I had them done by a reupholstery shop for around $650 for both front seats and the back.

I got my seat covers from Coverline...they're also an exact fit to the SC seats...but they only come in cloth/vinyl. I believe they do come in most factory colors. I remember paying over $100 for the two front seats (i think it was like $140), which includes the bottom part, top part and head rest cover, and I remember that they also made a covers for the rear seats to which I dont recall the price. Recently while browsing the tccoa i found out about http://www.leatherseats.com/ , they make seat covers that replace the original covers on the seat frame and are (if im not mistaking) exact replicas of our original SC seats...but ofcourse the price is a bit steep. Here's a pic the coverline seat covers on my sc ( the drivers side is a bit wrinkly b/c i didnt have it fastened tightly, but check out the passinger side. Also, I didnt use the headrest covers..so the ones in the pic are the original leather)

Attachments

• mvc010s.jpg
    mvc010s.jpg
    27 KB · Views: 224
upholstery advice

Its usually the front (especially the drivers) seats that get damaged and need reworking. So consider this, the back seats are usually in great shape and the inserts are the same width and design as the front seats. You could get a matching back seat from a wrecker and use the leather or fabric to recover the front seats. The surrounding fabric on the back seat is more than you need for the bolsters and flat areas for both front seats. Any upholsterer could do the sewing easily and it will be original. Lots of luck.

Back