Strange noise from windshield at high speeds...happening to two of my SC's.

CaifanSC

SCCoA Member
Among the many issues my retarded cars are giving me nowadays is a weird noise, sort of like a high pitch vibration or humming when im at higher speeds (about 70mph and above) and it increases as speed goes up. I've taken the 35th upto 120 and it does it pretty bad at those speeds. It started on my 89, but i thought that it was perhaps b/c the windshield is cracked....pretty badly cracked...so i attributed it to that. HOwever, my 35th just recently started doing it and its windshield is intact. Its as if the windshield was vibrating, but when i try to push on it from inside to see if It makes any difference it does not. I also try tugging around the rear view mirror but no difference either....any clues?

I am getting the same kind of vibration in my 89, as well.....

It seems to start at about 65 - 70 mph and it will vibrate the rear view mirror to the point where all you see in it is a blurr....:confused:

I put a piece of styrofoam between the mirror and the windshield and that seemed to help, but the noise it is making is rather bothersome......:rolleyes:

I am thinking it is something in the drive train, because when I shift to neutral, the vibration doesn't go away.....

It might be the u-joints starting to go bad.....

They need to be changed out anyway....

Hmm, not sure if you guys are talking about the same problem or not. Big-E, I would check your u-joints. I had the same rear view mirror vibration in my old '92 however it wound up being a worn tailshaft bearing on the transmission.

I've had the driveshaft botls loose on my 3 SC's and yet, its different...with the loose bolts you feel the entire car shake, i would assume teh same with any driveshaft/yoke problems...but this is different...its more of a noise than anything, when I touch the windshield I dont feel any apparent vibration...but it just sounds like one. Its REEEALLY odd....but its happening to two of my cars now so it cant be taht weird.

I've had my windshield wipers float up off the glass and make a humming noise. Higher speeds though......

I have a cracked windshield on my 94 ( right down the middle ) .. it would make noise and small vibration at high speeds. It would go away when I pressed on the windshield also. I Took off the trim and sealed it up with silicone, noise went away.

- Dan

Also, try tightening the setscrew that holds your mirror to the windshield button. That helped me. Once, I also put a piece of matchbook cover between the mirror base and button to take up some slack on my old white SC.

Back