tunable stock maf

mannysc

did you know you can tune a stock maf?

i have a 92 maf i cut center post off and drilled out to 15/32
well i installed 42 lbs injectors and it ran rich as hell.
so being the cheap and inovative fool i am .

i put a backing plate on maf at back of sample tube,
closed off the hole it ran lean. opened it up a little at a tiome and ,
it ran better and better got it to run great top end but off idle was bad so i closed it up a little and got the best of both good idle and great top end .

a adjustable maf one size fits all. and cost me only a saw to cut out post ,
and a drill bit to drill out the sample tube to 15/32 so simple so easy and it works on 42lbs 38 lbs 30 lbs injectors .

dont ping no smoke and powerfull. have to check it out and see how my a/f is but from ear and seat of pants its soo damn close.

what ya think????? with a a/f meter I could adjust it to my liking .

now I just need a good tune.to get the most from my setup

That is cool, and may have gotten you fairly close with enough testing. But if you are getting a tune anyway, why even bother?

I saw an interesting write-up about adjusting the MAF output with a variable resistor (rheostat?). I think it was on www.Autospeed.com. Anyway, they did basically the same thing that you did, but electronically. Once you find the sweet spot, lightly glue the knob in place. If you ever need to adjsut it later, it's easy to break the glue and move the knob.

Anyway, that method has the same drawback as the mechanical method that you employed (which is really the same way that C&L calibrates their meters). Namely, airflow is really complex (almost infinitely so), and that means that the function of airflow-to-voltage will never be perfectly linear. So, the EEC has a fuel table to adjust for that, using known values derived through extensive testing. Two different sampling tubes of the same cross-sectional area but of different shapes will probably flow quite differently and give different MAF readings (yours vs. C&L, for example). One might flow better at a certain airspeed and vice versa. So neither curve will be linear, or match the other.

You probably knew all that already, but thanks for bearing with me.

Back