D shaped combustion chambers

As in 1995 Windstar? All the newer ones have the split-port intake and heads. They changed over in 1996 (good thing, because the old 3.8 was way too weak for that big van).

there has been a recent discussion on V6power.net about the police issued FORD TAURUS, it had 160 HP compared to the 145HP in the mustang.

The difference between the Police heads and the stock heads were in the combustion chamber. The Police heads had an open, more unshrouded D shaped chamber, the stock 3.8's did not, they have the kidney shaped ones we are all use to. You can also find this head on the 95 Windstars btw... casting number F15E or F35E.

they had a different cam and dual exhaust too...theres your 15hp... i would forget about those heads...my.02

sure they would work, the SC heads just have less coolant passages exiting the head at least. Same with Mustang heads, they have more coolant passages on the bottom side of the head then the SC heads. I run Mustang heads on my SC setup right now, actually its a complete Mustang long block with the SC blower attached. They would work. If anything I think they would be a great starting point for ported heads as the valves are already unshrouded, but you could also have that done to your SC heads when having them ported.

Forget about the taraus the Windstar had the same heads..

Interestingly enough ford in 86 had the heart shaped combustion chambers on thier HO 5.0 and in 87 went to a D combustion chamber. The heart shaped was lest for non HO applications. Of course there were other changes from 86-87 but there was a 25hp increase.

This isnt about factory ratings but how this application may work as compared to what we are currectly using.

Just curious if anyone has given it a try

Damon

Back