door hinges

91 5.0 sc

I have a door that needs hinges that drop and phoned ford and they said 240 dollars a side :eek: but there is only one set in canada in bc i was wondering if there is a way to repair them they don't sell pins and pushings just the hinge any help would be awsome thanks:)

thanks i will phone them again tommorow and give them the numbers you gave me and tell them they need to check things a little further thanks again for reply:) it's well appreciated

Also, the local auto parts store may have a part that will work under the HELP! section. I forget the exact part number (maybe 43380?), but I just used it on my driver's side door.

Two pieces of advice that I have about the repair:
1. Have a buddy on hand!!! Or a door support fixture. I tried bracing my door with something and I dropped it twice. I am surprised how little damage I did - jsut some light scratches - but it shouldn't have happened. My fault.

2. Using a triangle file to get through the brass pin was really pretty easy - jsut time-consuming. Easier, actually, than using a carbide grinder.

Good luck! It's not really that hard.

Thanks again for the info the pins and bushings are the ones for the mustangs thats what the part numbers are showing tommorow is the day i hope to do them

Steve, when you did yours, did you take the hinge off of the top? Or was there enough room after taking out the pin to remove the two halves and leave the door attached?

See..I HATE trying to get that dam thing back in place. I always feel that I I have more stress on one hinge than the other. at least by being able to leave the top hinge attached, I am garonteed they will fit right.

Chris

I'd get the kit from SCP as I believe they are the ones that Rich at MN12 made up. If your bushings have worn through then the hinge hole will be enlarged and a stock replacement won't work. The MN12 ones are slightly bigger and that solves the problem, even if you have to drill the holes out a bit. If the MN12 Performance web site is still up you can download some very good instructions for the hinge pin replacement.

Yeah, and those instructions say to remove the bolts (losen them a LOT) from the top of the door as well. I want to know if there is a way to remove the bottom hinge without removing the top hinge.

Chris

I never remove the upper hinge to remove a lower hinge. You just gotta hold your mouth right.

Last edited:
The balancing act on the jack stand and the gymnastics with swivels and sockets isn't necessary. Trace around the hinge edges with a fine point pencil where they attach to the door and also to the frame... then unbolt the hinges from the door and just take the entire door off and make the job simple and fast. :rolleyes:

Also, try to find a slightly longer pin. The kit I used wasn't really right. The pin was about 1/8" too short. It took a lot of pounding on the inner and outer hinge brackets to get it to fit. I didn't say much about it, but it really didn't fit right. I'd go with one that is a bit too long and just make up the gap with washers or a bushing or something rather than try to adjust things again. :cool:

I removed the door from both hinges, because I couldn't figure out any other way to do it. I left both hinges attached to the body and just removed the pin from the lower one. Maybe I'm just really blessed, but I had no problems getting the door to fit afterwards.

Also, the HELP! kit is longer than needed. Actually a little longer than I would have liked, because it made the door bolts hard to get at on the re-install.

I removed the door from both hinges, because I couldn't figure out any other way to do it. I left both hinges attached to the body and just removed the pin from the lower one. Maybe I'm just really blessed, but I had no problems getting the door to fit afterwards.

Also, the HELP! kit is longer than needed. Actually a little longer than I would have liked, because it made the door bolts hard to get at on the re-install.

you got that right i had same problem but it's done and it works but it is easier to remove the door

The REAL problem is that I am by myself on this:confused: . How the he11 am I going to hold the door AND drill out the hinges?

Chris

Hold the door up with a jack untill you pull the hinge out, then close the door while you are repairing the hinge.

Good info for me. Anyone have some more pointers on swaping door parts?

I am wanting to install a pair of fiberglass doors I have this winter.
I need to find a left and right side donors doors for parts. To
assemble into the glass doors, latchs screws rubber trim,etc.

I want to be able to easily swap back to my stock steel doors. I want
to be able to just pull the door pins to swap from steel to fiberglass
doors.

Thanks Randy

Back