I found you, Al

Hank95SC

Thank you for the invite. This appears to be a very interesting group. I think I will poke around for a bit.

Hey Hank,

Glad to hear you finally got around to our bbs. We will be going through some changes soon, hopefully for the better, so hopefully you will find yourself at home here. Welcome aboard!

al

Welcome Hank!

I'm in Azusa but I've only been to Palmdale once. I like the place but don't care for the 2700' elevation. Is that where you generally go? We should get together since West Covina's close.

A few months ago, I was BSing with the guy at the Glendora Autozone on Foothill and Vermont. He was telling me about this customer who comes in a lot who has a very hot late model white supercharged T-Bird. He thought it was a V8 but wasn't sure; but he also didn't know what a Super Coupe was. He did say that the car sounded BAD. I had forgotten about it until I saw Al's post. Could that be you? I don't see many SC's around here so I generally check them out when I see one, but I haven't noticed one like that.

Anyway, hope you can make some of our meets, and especially the one in Bakersfield the 24th. If you might be able to make it, give me a call. I emailed you my phone number.

Welcome

Hi Hank...Glad to have you visit.
I had planned to go with Al on the day he went to Palmdale but was unable to get around on that date. I am sorry I missed meeting you. Al mentioned your car and how nice it was on race day.
I am no where as fast as Al, but I would have enjoyed racing you just to see where I measured-up with another SC.
Hope to see you at some of the meets and perhaps at our Bakersfield meet on the 24th of August at Famoso Raceway.

Greetings all. Not too many folks with modified SC's are there ? This seems to be a hot spot. Yes John, I have a white 95, but have not been to that store in quite a while. Last time there, I did back up to the door.

I have sent you a return mail. We'll chat. Thank you, again.

Bakersfield

Say Hank, have you given any more thought to going to Bakersfield with us? It would be a great chance for you to meet a bunch of us locals as well as our kin from the north. It would also give you an opportunity to line up with some SC's. There's a guy from up north (can't recall his name right now) who has a really fast SC, but it's usually in a pile in his garage.;) He's supposed to show up, but who knows?

So give it some good thought. If nothing more, it's a nice drive to there. Ya' know, half the fun of these SC's is cruisin' on a nice wide open road.

Thank you John, I think i'll join you if you don't mind, so send me a mail about where we should meet, and perhaps we can catch up with Al's caravan that he is planning. Mind you, I don't want to be crashing a club event, or complicating your eliminations schedule, but if you don't have trouble with that I'd be glad to race with your group. Will we have to run much around the Summit event, do you think ?

With any luck, some larger injectors should arrive tomorrow morning. Hopefully my tuning issues will be somewhat less on that account. Rather don't like to rely on the wet kit for sufficient fuel as I have been doing.

hey if you guys head out this sunday to irwindale let me know. i dont know if it will be open what with the shooting and stuff, but hey, it's worth a shot to see how big an improvement this zr intake i just got will do!

about the caravan. if you guys wouldnt mind heading this way and then heading north, it would be excellent to join up with us. i figured you guys would get to gether somewhere and head up the 210 and meet up with us at the magic mountain gas station with ron. we could also meet where the 210 and 5 meet by balboa and foothill, but then again the friggin magic mountain gas station is just 10 more miles from there. let me know though and we can set this up. ofcourse you guys would have to drive pretty slow so us stockers can keep up :)

al

Sounds Like a Plan....

Al...When I asked you about putting in some time at Irwindale this weekend to practive you said you were too busy. However, when you hear Hank might be interested NOW you're all for it. What gives?

Hank...I am sending you a brief description of the guidelines for the SCCoA "fastest" times. I would encourage you to join us at our meets, especially Bakersfield. Don't feel like you are an outsider, inasmuch as most of us are just getting our chapter going. Are you going to Irwindale or Fontana this weekend? If I hear from you in time, perhaps we can hook-up at either.

Got the injectors in

I should be able to make your meet ! Thanks for all the hospitality thus far. Ron the fastest list is not quite as fast as I had expected. At this point my understanding is that my car is "legal" but need to add the notes of spray (if it's run, of course) and the modified rear suspension, and have a sccoa witness on the run. Do I have that right ? John told me that Coy had made an 11 second run, but I'm curious why that is not up on the list. It's quite a significant achievement for one of these cars. This one, on the current engine, took close to 8 months of tuning on both the engine and suspension to get beyond the 12.3 range.

Hank...Looks Good!

Hi Hank...It was nice to meet you today. From what I could see (my wheelchair vista) you looked legal. John should have the same point of view.
BTW that was my 22 year old daughter racing my SC today. She is only one hundred 45 pounds lighter than I am and handles the car pretty well for her experience level.
Sorry we had to go so early, but with the traffic going home we like to get a jump on the weekend traffic.
See you at the caravan!

Thanks for coming out to play, Ron ! I just think you get her to do your dirty work, and cut a couple tenths on the weight savings - big grin. For BTMS, it's a home made deal. A steel carriage around the IRS and another one on the body for strength, with a decent driveline loop built in, and a snubber bumper to keep the geometry from going too wild. The modification has brought my short time from low 1.8's to low 1.6's. I worry a lot less about axles, now that the rear end doesn't dance for the first 1/8 mile. It's wheels up every time now, and it's just not that hard to build. I'll have some ramps and a creeper next weekend, and anyone can get a look.

Al is so cute!

Al thought you were running a tube chassis. I hadn't seen your rig yet, but what I had imagined was a subframe stiffener job of some sort.
It is nicely done!

Last edited:
I got the idea from some flics of other SC's at the races. The rear wheels always tuck under the wells, and on the 5 speeds they bounce forward and back. That hammering has got to be tough on the axles, not to mention beats up on the bushings. But the travel stores momentum that could be used to launch the car, and when the stock suspension reaches the end of its travel it hits hard, which breaks loose lesser tires, and tweaks the heck out of the driveline on cars that hook up. Geometry suffers too. A lot of the stronger t-birds out there, and this goes for Coy in the SC community, need to detune the engine as a compromise to the suspension for the launch. I'm so happy to be able to get it to the ground smoothly and still keep the IRS functional on the road :) .

Interesting Approach

I think I know what you said. You mean that the force of the tires digging in causes a load to be transferred to the rear suspension? And, that that load is partially (or totally) released and then loaded again and again.again. This procees is repeated causing a wheel hop as the axles are torqued and rolls back and forth?
Does that make sense?

Sorry I flaked guys, other stuff came up and quite frankly I couldn't afford a day at the races (wear on the engine and tire life) if I am to run at bakersfield (remember, this IS my daily driver). I hope you guys did well and I am now officially PUMPED for Famoso!!!!!!!

al

Back