Engine repairs

ShawnSC1

I am installing a used engine in my XR7. It runs great. But there is a few things that I have to do.

I have to change both rocker arm cover gaskets. Would there be a right way of installing the gaskets or is it just clean ect. , and the same thing with the oil pan gasket. Just wondering if I should use a seal or not.

My SC is leaking around the pulley. Is there a seal behind the pulley and if there is it easy to change. I pulled off the SC Adapter. I guess I would use a seal not a gasket and the same with the tubes.

Also what is the best oil and grade that is good to use and the same with the tranny. Before I used a cheap oil and 10w-40.

The reason why I am asking these stupid questions, is because I banged 2 engines. I would like to be safe on the thrid engine. If you have any hints on what I should do on any of this. Please let me know. Thanks

The valve covers on the S/C are supposed to be neoprene....mine have seeped a bit, I just snugged them down and they have been okay.
My S/C has been weeping around the pulley since I've owned it. I just keep the dirt washed off. It's never need S/C oil topped to date. The oil is still golden yellow.
I've had super luck with genuine Ford Motorcraft oils and filters in the motor and tranny.
My '90 XR-7 has 274,000 km on it. I've always used Motorcraft 5W/30 and FL400S "LONG LIFE" oil filter every 3000km. It's had the head gaskets changed at 217,000km....thats it!
It still flies, doesn't smoke, good on gas etc. I haven't babied this car either!
Same story with oil on my '93 Ranger 4X4. Same oil, same filter. It costs me $52.00 for two filters and a case of oil.
When I take it to the dealership, I make sure they use bottled oil and not bulk from a drum.
I'm sure theres other good oils out there, but until mine blow apart, I'm not changing my habits!

Thanks for the tip. So if theres sc oil around the pulley shaft. Then I should not worry. The thing is that I have 2 spare sc s siting around. I was thinking it might me a good idea just to change the whole sc. What do you thik on that.

If it's not a major leak I wouldn't worry about it. As long as it's running quiet and making good boost. These things usually last a long time. I usually clean the nose of the supercharger about every three months with soap and water...seems to be fine after 275,000km. The charger has never been apart and works the same as it did when I bought the car at 99,000km 7 years ago.

P.S. I've never needed to re-fill the lube yet either.

Back