Exterior Door handle to latch assembly plastic clip?

RichM

Anyone know if we can get the clip that goes from the exterior door handle rod to the latch assembly. Mine broke.
IMG_3071.jpg

I'd rather not spend 50 bucks on a new latch assembly.

I'd be tempted to try bailing wire, zipties, or a big fat wad of JB Weld around it to patch it back together. Be sure to clean it spotless with acetone before trying to use any adhesive. Also, contact some sellers here: big-e, Randall, and many others have lots of spare parts.

I epoxied it back together. No telling how long it will work. A source for something comperable would be nice though.

TbirdSCFan, I'd be leary of using acetone to clean plastic.

Didn't even last a day.

Last edited:
HELP! Items

You can try taking all the pieces to a parts store that has a large selection of HELP! items. You might be able to look through all the blister-packaged clips, and find something that will work, even though it doesn't look anything like the factory item.

Usually, several car manufacturers have similar hardware, since they use common parts vendors, and "Company X" sells the same door handle system to several manufacturers (with different exterior styling, naturally). If GM used the same or similar type clip, you've hit the jackpot, because quite a bit of the HELP! items are for GM's. If your store doesn't stock anything, look at the catalog; there are pretty good photos and descriptions of the full line. The store can order what you need.

Just another avenue to check out...

Good Luck,

JD

pulled the door back apart, the peice broke at a different spot than the epoxy. Very close but not exactly at the original break. I tried the closest 'HELP' part I could find at the auto parts store with no luck. Right now it is being held in place by... lockwire and a ziptie. :eek: just like TbirdSCFan joked about. Hopefully that will hold until the silly season is over.

E83Z-5421952-B is the part number

E83Z-5421952-B is the part number from Ford for a package of two "retainers" 12 bucks for two from dealership in my hometown. Hope this helps someone else someday.

E83Z-5421952-B is the part number from Ford for a package of two "retainers" 12 bucks for two from dealership in my hometown. Hope this helps someone else someday.

Glad you were able to get the factory piece. Sometimes I hit a home run with the HELP! items, and sometimes I strike out...

JD

Back