TV cable adjustment tool

89psychobird

My new transmission is installed and now it is time to set the TV cable. To follow the procedure in the Ford shop manual requires having a tool that slides onto the TV cable to pull it forward. TCI's instructions are very similar - www.tciauto.com/Products/Instructions/instructions/431000_inst.htm

Does anyone have this tool (T86L-70332-A)? If so, could you measure the thickness with calipers or a micrometer? I can make my own tool if I know this measurement.

You need the gauge block. I have founf the on etoolcart.com, but pricey. Might check with snap on or Mac tools. I made my own, having an end mill helps alot.
Alan

I set all my aod cars that way without the gauge block and no fried transmissions yet. My old LX had 150k on the original AOD before I sold it. I even set my TCI in the SC that way and no problems yet, I'm going to look into getting a pressure gauge and double check it this year. Just have been following the TCCOA article since I used it before I had a service manual.

Last edited:
89 phsychobird
For what it is, that tool is very much overpriced for a home mechanic who would use it rarely, and it could be made quickly and cheaply. Myself and dbd have asked this question before and nobody who claims to have the tool has ever responded with the measurement. One person said he made one out of wood and used a measurement of 5/16". He never said how he arrived at that measurement. However, this corresponds closely to a measurement of .275" I found somewhere that I don't recall. So at this point all I have is unverified specs but am comfortable with the .275" spec. John

IMO you need this as much as a Neutral safety switch alignment tool, or Cam position sensor alignment tool.

The measurement is in fact very close to .275. I made mine from a block of steel and cloned it from a ford tool.
Alan

Last edited:
Thanks guys!

WOW, this has got to be the quickest shifting trans I have ever driven. It feels like a completely different car.

Some conversion info for the TV gauge block

5/16" = 0.3125" (according to my conversion calculator). Since this is a little shy of the 0.39" mentioned, you might be better setting the TV pressure to 30psi instead of the 33-35psi. A 3/8" thickness = .375" which will probably be just about right for 33psi. A change of 1mm (in or out on the TV cable linkage adjuster) = approx 2.5psi, moving the linkage 1 "notch" on the adjuster = approx. 2psi.

Always set the pressure with the tranny warmed up to operating temp, at idle, in neutral....

5/16" = 0.3125" (according to my conversion calculator). Since this is a little shy of the 0.39" mentioned, you might be better setting the TV pressure to 30psi instead of the 33-35psi. A 3/8" thickness = .375" which will probably be just about right for 33psi. A change of 1mm (in or out on the TV cable linkage adjuster) = approx 2.5psi, moving the linkage 1 "notch" on the adjuster = approx. 2psi.

Always set the pressure with the tranny warmed up to operating temp, at idle, in neutral....

ok im kind of confused how do you do this someone have a pic of the tool.maybe ill understand this better.

The tool has a slot in it( I cut mine in with a cutoff wheel) You pull the little ball of the cable out insert the tool over the cable and then let it return. The tool holds the cable out the specified distance, then adjust the cable.
Alan

The tool has a slot in it( I cut mine in with a cutoff wheel) You pull the little ball of the cable out insert the tool over the cable and then let it return. The tool holds the cable out the specified distance, then adjust the cable.
Alan

i would have to see a pic to understand it thanks tho.;)

Picture this, a piece of material ( iused stainless steel I had laying around) that measures .275 on one dimension, by I would suggest 1/2 inch by about 1.5 inches so you can hold on to it. Put a slot in the dimension so that the cable can be held out .275 and thats it

Click on the link supplied in thread # 9 and you will see a picture. I used a piece of 5/16" square stock and cut a slot with my die grinder.

dbd

Click on the link supplied in thread # 9 and you will see a picture. I used a piece of 5/16" square stock and cut a slot with my die grinder.

dbd

yea i see that but dose someone have a pic of what it looks like in real life. the tool made in person. you know i want to see it in detal.

LJ - there are two separate tools with two different dimensions available. The tool with the .390" dimension is specifically for transmissions that use the tv rod. The .275" dimension is for trannys with the tv cable, John

Back