Where To Buy A Cylinder Head or 2???

hunterd557

Just a little help here, I found someone who will do the labor for dirt cheap, but he almost refuses to remachine the heads or weld them if they are cracked insisting that replacing the heads is the only way to go.

Maybe someone can give me some insight here, but the car has over 130,000 miles on it and the head gasket went up (little history), just wondering that IF . . . and ONLY IF . . .I have to buy cylinder heads, where can I buy them from.

Also, should I even bother replacing the heads? I mean, I hear a lot . . . oh boy I've been searching for hours . . .about how people just remachine the heads and call it a day with new gaskets, but if you guys think they should be replaced as well, then we'll work with that, but I honestly think that if there are people out here running their cars with remachined heads, why can't I do it.

He said he'd do it, but he highly recommends that I buy new heads, suggesting that I should do it the "right way" the first time and I'll never have to do it again.

I don't know, I mean, I don't like shortcuts, but having owned more than one full-race spec vehicle, I know that cyl heads are expensive when "like new" but machining them can be expensive as well.

I don't know, what do you guys think?

-Dave

If yours are cracked, throw them in the garbage. They like to crack from spark plug hole to spark plug hole. Find a good used set that are not cracked on here and have them resurfaced and a valve job unless you wan`t to go all out racing then check to see if you can get a set from a 98-99 mustang. Not sure on the years but do a search and go from there.

Yer not gunna get new..So I would just send em out..they will check for cracks..Get somenew springs, locks and retainers..nice valve job, resurface the decks and call it a day....AND DONT USE STOCK HEAD BOLTS..Maybe even get some mild porting done while yer at it..If teh heds need to eb welded..Yah Id look for others

But what do I know :O)

Last edited:
The mechanic is probably right about not welding cracked heads. But if they aren't cracked, pow! you're in business. Once they are off the car, get them pressure tested (or dye tested). (Magnaflux is out because they're aluminum.) Then you'll know what to do. Anyway, you should not have any problem finding compatible heads. I think the appropriate years for the Mustang are 96-98. 99 began the splitport heads.

The mechanic is probably right about not welding cracked heads. But if they aren't cracked, pow! you're in business. Once they are off the car, get them pressure tested (or dye tested). (Magnaflux is out because they're aluminum.) Then you'll know what to do. Anyway, you should not have any problem finding compatible heads. I think the appropriate years for the Mustang are 96-98. 99 began the splitport heads.

BUH BAM!

OOOOOKAY! So I just spent like 3 bills!

ROFLOL!

From Super Coupe Performance, I ordered the Upper Engine Gasket Set. That came out to 135 plus shipping.

From Summit Racing, I ordered the ARP Head Studs, that was 144 and change after shipping. So now it's just waiting for those parts to come in! ^_^

Okay, so lets say, scenario 1, the one I'm hoping for exists, he rips apart the engine and BUH BAM, the heads are in tact and raring to go, all he has to do is machine them at that point right? How likely is THIS to be the case, like, is it more likely that the heads are unusable?

Scenario 2, he pulls apart the engine and a he can see me through the cracks. What now? I buy new heads of course, but where from? I understand that they can come off of the 3.8 Mustang from 96-98, but do I just call a junk yard and be like, "Hey . . hows it goin, can I get some head?" I don't think he'll concur. LOL!

Do I call Ford and ask them? I think they'll call me a retarded negro and send me on my way.SC Performance doesn't have cyl heads, nor does Summit. So it seems like a junk yard is the only way to go. Maybe I just answered my own question, unless you guys and gals happen to know a place where I can just say I need the cyl head for this type of motor and buh bam, they'll produce it.

My biggest fear is this...I get the car there, I leave it there with the money in the guy's hands. He gets the engine apart and says "Dave, I can't fix these, they're cracked. Then I'm stuck, because I won't have new heads to just say "I was just playin dawg, here ya go" nor do I have the money to do so.

Right now, the budget is really REALLY tight with the holidays coming up and this, unfortunately is my ONLY car so getting to work and back is starting to become a chore to those on my racing team. :(

I don't know. I just spent 300 in parts, sooooooooooooooo. I guess it's officially a project.

-Dave

*EDIT* Quick question, the SC heads and N/A 3.8 heads from the Tbird are different right? Just wondering because those may be easier to run across than the ones for the SC.

From Summit Racing, I ordered the ARP Head Studs, that was 144 and change after shipping. So now it's just waiting for those parts to come in! ^_^

Of course I had told you to get the 2.8L chevy arp studs ($88) as they work better then the SC specific ones.....But what do I know :O)

hey hey hey!!!

Nah, I rememberd you saying that, I just didn't remember at the time. I read that post and was like, DOH! *SLAPS FOREHEAD*

-Dave

There's a good chance that your heads will be ok to reuse. I would say (just a guess) something like 60% good - 40% bad. The old 3.8 heads (84-88) were more prone to cracking, but the casting was thickened to improve that problem.

About sources, used heads are a good way to go. You could get them from a junkyard. You might be able to find a good deal on used heads here or at TCCOA.com or at V6Power.net, because there are plenty of 3.8 owners on these 3 boards. Maybe your mechanic will have a good lead for you too. Just for the record, the heads are still available from Ford (I think they are reman, because sometimes they list a core charge.).

Link:
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...ke=10&model=Thunderbird&year=1990&catalogid=1

Oooh, look: 98 Mustang heads, with valves, for much less than the SC head price:
http://www.trademotion.com/partloca...7&make=10&model=Mustang&year=1998&catalogid=1

If you do buy new ones, bear in mind that you can't get a core charge back for cracked heads. And you might consider buying from "Fast Ed," or Jason Preslar at Town & Country Ford. They have both been good to the club, and might even be able to beat the prices listed in those links.

Ive got a set of sc heads (90) here if you need them. Were surfaced and checked about 3 years ago and been sitting in the shed since. If I remember right they were shaved .010

S

S_Mazza, you are the man!

I tell you what, I was looking at the prices from the first link and then the prices from the second link, are we sure that these heads are the same. Because the prices for the 90 Tbird SC were in the 4's where as the prices for the 96-98 Mustang were in the 2's. There has to be a reason for this right? Is the compression level the same? How about the combustion chamber and valving? I mean, I'll gladly pick up a set of 97 Mustang Cylinder heads, because I saw them at Autozone for 257 with a 150 dollar core charge. That's almost down to 100 bucks a piece!

I just don't want to pick em up and the mechanic is like, "What are we going to do with these?" LOL!

I'll try to see if he can reuse them before anything else, because I'd much rather pay him to machine them than to sit there and have to shell out 500 bucks for new heads. ON TOP of the labor charges, LOL!

Shadow: Let me know how much, you want for the set...:)

-Dave

hunterd557, that price is $257 plus $150 core, so if you don't have the heads when you go in its $407.

hunterd557, that price is $257 plus $150 core, so if you don't have the heads when you go in its $407.

Yeah, I realized that after I made that post, but figured I'd rather not edit it, partly for being too lazy, and partly because if I actually said it in real life, I wouldn't be able to take it back either.

My brain was just working bass ackwards today . . . .LOL! I realized it as soon as I read your post too, LOL!

-Dave

Cylinder heads are nothing but trouble, I suggest not even putting them back on. I was on here looking for some SC heads to port and put on my 95 3.8 NA Thunderbird, found a worn-out 90 SC parts car, and now I drive a 90 SC. It's too much fun, even if my 95 is the nice one.

Edit that, I have components and systems failing left and right on the 95 I babied for 6 years, but the neglected 90 SC that never even got a tune-up in 150k+ miles before I got it doesn't have any big problems. The sunroof even still seals. How about that for the alleged lemon SC's.

Last edited:
That's a pretty sweet deal. These cars seem durable enough, it's just that head gasket is a really weak point. I don't know, I'm no mechanic so when day 3, after purchase, rolled around and the head gasket went up, I honestly thought this car was a lemon as well.

I just really didn't like the fact that I wasn't even forewarned of this happening until I ran across the SCCOA thread (this place ROCKS btw).

But yeah, I got the gaskets in today, so now I have the studs and gaskets and now all it's going to take is for someone to rip it all apart and put it all together . . . . .this is where the fun starts.

-Dave

...the neglected 90 SC that never even got a tune-up in 150k+ miles before I got it doesn't have any big problems. ...

Ride that wave as long as you can! :)

Hey, i was looking at 3.8mustang.com, and there are numerous people selling their old 3.8 heads because they have upgraded to splitport heads. I might pick myself up a set to port and tinker with.

About the differences between the heads - I am pretty sure that they are 90% the same. I would still recommend searching for more info on it, but I think I have seen a few different people using the Mustang heads without problems.

The prices were different because Ford didn't ask for a core back on the SC heads. They are probably trying to move on, unlike us, LOL.

...day 3, after purchase, rolled around and the head gasket went up

Ouch, that really hurts. Glad to see you are rolling with the punches!

Last edited:
Ride that wave as long as you can! :)

Hey, i was looking at 3.8mustang.com, and there are numerous people selling their old 3.8 heads because they have upgraded to splitport heads. I might pick myself up a set to port and tinker with.

About the differences between the heads - I am pretty sure that they are 90% the same. I would still recommend searching for more info on it, but I think I have seen a few different people using the Mustang heads without problems.

The prices were different because Ford didn't ask for a core back on the SC heads. They are probably trying to move on, unlike us, LOL.

Ouch, that really hurts. Glad to see you are rolling with the punches!

Yeah, former Marine here, so I'm used to a lot more abuse than 650 bucks blowing up in my face, plus tow . . .plus parts . . .plus labor, ROFLOL!

-Dave

Back