some porting ?

92sclikenew

ok i did search this time. couldnt find what i wanted, So i think im goin to be pulling the heads off and doing the HG's again:confused: :mad: .anyways while im ther im thinking of doing tons of porting well that is if the car will run right after and some of you great people on here say sounds good.The only thing i can think of that can be porting is intake,exhaust manfold,and heads is that about it. also is this worth it i dont have the money to do a cam right now seeing that the balancer news replaced,and if i want to do a cam down the road its not like i have to take the heads off there already be ported:D

let me know what you guys think.

Before you start porting intake/exhaust manifolds and heads, you have to have replaced the factory exhaust set-up, otherwise you will blow the HG again and FAST !!!!.

If I were you I would I do a cam at the same time. You could do it down the line, but remember you will have to remove pretty much everything, except the heads :eek: You will have to remove the fan, radiator, intake, superchager, IC upper tub and lower tube, BIG BAD BRACKET for the power steering pump so that you can remove the water pump. Also the intake manifold, valve covers to loosen up the rocker arms and so on and so on. You get the picture ? I know not a pretty one. :( :( But its your choice so choose wisely my son.... :D :D
Good Luck...
:)

Before you start porting intake/exhaust manifolds and heads, you have to have replaced the factory exhaust set-up, otherwise you will blow the HG again and FAST !!!!.

If I were you I would I do a cam at the same time. You could do it down the line, but remember you will have to remove pretty much everything, except the heads :eek: You will have to remove the fan, radiator, intake, superchager, IC upper tub and lower tube, BIG BAD BRACKET for the power steering pump so that you can remove the water pump. Also the intake manifold, valve covers to loosen up the rocker arms and so on and so on. You get the picture ? I know not a pretty one. :( :( But its your choice so choose wisely my son.... :D :D
Good Luck...
:)

yea i know thanks for the info.;)

Second that for 92SClikenew. I have my heads off right now, and want to port some stuff. I did an intake for my 95 NA, but that was totally different. I see on the SC intake I can smooth the surface, gasket-match, and cut down some angles. Only problem is there is hardly any metal to work with where it needs reshaping (same with the exhaust manifolds). For the heads, I've never done those so I'm kinda lost, other than smoothing and cleaning up angles. Should I round out that sharp edge just under the intake valve on the combustion side, or is that there for a reason? And what the *&^&*^ (random expletive) is valve unshrouding?

Second that for 92SClikenew. I have my heads off right now, and want to port some stuff. I did an intake for my 95 NA, but that was totally different. I see on the SC intake I can smooth the surface, gasket-match, and cut down some angles. Only problem is there is hardly any metal to work with where it needs reshaping (same with the exhaust manifolds). For the heads, I've never done those so I'm kinda lost, other than smoothing and cleaning up angles. Should I round out that sharp edge just under the intake valve on the combustion side, or is that there for a reason? And what the *&^&*^ (random expletive) is valve unshrouding?

well if its the egde on the bottom of the head that go's to the engine ther will be a sharp bur ther it needs to come off or be rounded. if it dont it will cause pre ingtion.;)

I'd replace your valve springs while you're at it, they're not expensive. And if you have some extra $, toss in some bigger valves and roller rockers. If you're going to go through all this work/$ to get the heads off, do it now.

Yeah, I know. I just want to get it running for now, though. My LX lost 3rd and 4th gears in the trans, and I need something to get around in. Can't remember the last time I was on the highway.

Hey Stewart, I was looking at your member page. Very nice pics of the car. How does that polyeurethane ride? I know the benefits of it, but have heard it causes stress cracks on the frame and suspension, as well as lets the suspension get upset too easily on rough road. Also, I don't want to kill the ride. I'd buy a Mustang for that.

248413468rjptgI_th.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]port the heads match intake to heads port exh manifolds dont worry about the individual runners so much but open up the area at exit flange.

and get new cats move em back getting rid of the 90 deg bend I have stock exh ported heads ported exh manifolds, cats moved back 6 inches nice smooth radius from exh manifold to cats Im cheap so i cut open my res and did some reworking in there and welded it back together i like the sound .

i have 7 lbs back pressure at 16 lbs boost stock back pressure was 15 lbs at 12 lbs boost not good i could have done a free flowing exh but any improvement is a good thing ,

if ya run ported heads ported exh manifolds and move the cats you should be able to run a 10% pully .

all the head porting in the world wont help if the exh is restrictive.

its a compleate set from the maf to the exh tip if there is a restriction anywhere it hurts performance and the head gaskets will blow if you have high boost and nowhere for the exh to go .

when i did my exh and heads my boost went down to 9 lbs just from freeing up the exh the boost was really back pressure. i now make 16 lbs with the ported stuff with out blowing hgs . I plan on running 20 lbs boost but that will require headers and good free flowing exh system the key word is "SYSTEM"

Last edited:
manny, do you have on details on what to run in the valve train. I am doing a basic job to a spare set of heads I have this winter. I was going to get them done by Dave, but thats not in the car budget at the moment. I am thinking of running comp 942 springs, and I have Scorpion 1.73 rockers to run also. Any ideas on valve numbers or anything else i might need to know. I am planning on just running the stock cam for now.

PS - My stock 94 blower was making 19-20 psi last year, upgrading to MP2 this year

Last edited:
Manny, that was a great post, and the before and after porting picture tells a thousand words!

One dumb question about the picture though - what is that strange parting line that looks like it goes vertically through the exhaust port? It's there on both the before and after exhaust pics :confused:

Hey Stewart, I was looking at your member page. Very nice pics of the car. How does that polyeurethane ride? I know the benefits of it, but have heard it causes stress cracks on the frame and suspension, as well as lets the suspension get upset too easily on rough road. Also, I don't want to kill the ride. I'd buy a Mustang for that.
I had no problems with it. My SC once the engine goes back in will never be a daily driver again so I doubt I'd have to worry about cracking. It feels much more solid and responsive. Some is the bushings, some is the addition of Eibach springs. But defenatly no complaints.

Manny, that was a great post, and the before and after porting picture tells a thousand words!

One dumb question about the picture though - what is that strange parting line that looks like it goes vertically through the exhaust port? It's there on both the before and after exhaust pics :confused:

the pictures are photo shoped to show whats done but the line is a parting line from the molding process it looks bad its even evident in the cut

Manny, very nice, thanks. It looks like you took a bunch of metal out of the valve guide, is that alright? Also (I couldn't tell from your pic) that sharp lip just under the intake valve. Is that worth more there to keep the intake air from hitting the cylinder wall opposite the injector, or is it just a restriction that I should take out?

Stewart, that's cool on the bushings. Not sure what I'll do, but probably just poly some key areas (sway bar bushings, rear upper control arms,...) and leave some rubber. The roads here aren't bad, but they aren't great either.

here is a street port no fancy cutting just some basic clean up removed casting flash and most defects and ground down around valve guides

Attachments

• gfd.JPG
    gfd.JPG
    282.5 KB · Views: 126
Nice pics, Manny. *Yoink!* I think I will be picking up a set of heads to "play" with, and those pics are very helpful. Thank you.

Do you have any flow numbers from your porting job? Looks like you have put alot of time and effort into your porting. And now, just a word of caution to the unexperienced future porters out there. Having your head ported by a pro is expensive, but not as expensive as ruining your heads and ego when the car runs worse. I am in no way saying there is any thing wrong with your porting Manny. I am trying to throw in a bit of caution to the guys who are itching to get that die grinder in hand, and make some cheap horspower. Before you start go get one of the good books on porting, and study. Then practice on a junk head. If you know a pro porter just sneek around to the back of the garage and you will see a huge pile of ruined heads. Good luck!
Danny

Do you have any flow numbers from your porting job? Looks like you have put alot of time and effort into your porting. And now, just a word of caution to the unexperienced future porters out there. Having your head ported by a pro is expensive, but not as expensive as ruining your heads and ego when the car runs worse. I am in no way saying there is any thing wrong with your porting Manny. I am trying to throw in a bit of caution to the guys who are itching to get that die grinder in hand, and make some cheap horspower. Before you start go get one of the good books on porting, and study. Then practice on a junk head. If you know a pro porter just sneek around to the back of the garage and you will see a huge pile of ruined heads. Good luck!
Danny

yes thats true you can over port or port the wrong areas and ruin a set of heads.

for beginers stay way from the short side radius and dont mess with the floor remove any rough edges and ridges but dont re contour any floor areas i did re move a ridge at valve seat but did not cut bottom of opening of exit in fact a D shape is better than a O on exh.

on intake side dont cut the short radius side clean polish just dont change it much and match intake to heads

I mainly copied work i used to do on small block dodges and other engines of the 60- 70s and unshroud the valves round out sharp edges

Back