Changing rotors (not brakes)

bowez

Just curious whether its feasible to convert the M90 to a twin screw by just replacing the rotors? It seems to me that we could get rotors machined/cast for less than what it costs for an AR kit (sorry Dave), and less work than getting a M112 to fit.

The machines that actually do the milling for the rotors cost in the neighborhood of about $1 million. They can be done with machines that cost less, but then you're probably going to pay for it.

I've been talking with a buddy who is a machinist, and although he says he can do it...it would take a long time and alot of both setup and efforts. So, it would be alot of money for a set of rotors.

Yeah I figured would take alot of machine work thats why I was thinking more along of casting, and just machining the prototype.

casting would not be a reasonable process for rotors. If you could use a cast piece, machining would have to be done on the cast parts to the same level of precision as if you were machining billet screws. I don't think this is a venture that would be worthwhile for anyone anywhere to undertake at all. The initial costs would be so great between buying tools, and then the R&D that would need to go into creating the screws to fit into the M90 casing would be an incredible amount. The volume of sale would not be there for whoever was manufacturing these new rotors. Between all the cars with M90's on them the quantity just isn't there. It would make more sense for them to buy Twin screw superchargers and sell them as a kit.....:rolleyes: oh wait....someone already thought of that

Back