SC vacuum dump valve?

Kit Sullivan

There is a vacuum diaphragm mounted on top of the inlet tubes, I assume it is some kind of pressure dump valve for the supercharger when not running under heavy boost to increase low speed mileage and driveability. Is this correct?
Anyway, the nipple on the diaphragm has no vacuum hose connected to it. Is this normal? I can't seem to locate any loose hose or anything around it that even appears like it should be connected to it. Plus the nipple is coming off the diaphragnm at and angle, instead of straight...is this normal?
The car runs fine and I can't seem to tell that anything is wrong, so I am lead to believe this may be normal, but I can't imagine how or why a vacuum diaphragm would work with no vacuum connected to it.
Can someone explain?
Thanks.

The nipple points downwards at a 45 degree angle approximately. In my car, the two red arrows point to the two ends of the hose. Going by the pictures that I have seen of other SC engines, the location for the nipple at the left arrow is somewhere else.

Attachments

• SC bypass valve actuator vac hose.jpg
    SC bypass valve actuator vac hose.jpg
    214 KB · Views: 132
Hmmm, thanks. So, is there a hose between the diaphragm and the other nipple?(the one with the red arrow on the left)? I couldn't quite tell if that is what you are saying or not.

the picture shows where the bypass valve connects to the inlet plenum on a 94/95 sc. earlier model sc's connect in a different spot.

Hmmm, thanks. So, is there a hose between the diaphragm and the other nipple?(the one with the red arrow on the left)? I couldn't quite tell if that is what you are saying or not.

Yes, a hose connects together the two points that the arrows point to.

Back