Dash board lights

95scfan

ok well today the cd player in my car wasn't playing the music just the bass so i smacked it and it worked.....well i got to the house to deliver a pizza and shut off the car and then turned it back on and only half of the cluster lights lit up i got the temp guaga and the speedo but the tach and the temp guage were faded really bad i can still see the boost gauge it has a light but the other half is out or something any ideas???

thanks
cody

it might be you need to replace your integrated relay control module - IRCM - it sits up front - ahead of the air box

that controls the radiator fan too right? because that has been giving me problems too......they are the same right?

thanks
cody

I'm still trying to figure out how the IRCM has anything to do with lighting up the gauge cluster??????

I would think it had more to do with "smacking" the CD player and probably jarred something loose behind the cluster.

I suggest you ask Payton - from the SCCOO - i recall him telling me he had the exact same problem - half dash lights - etc. changed his IRCM and all was fine again. and yes - the IRCM controls other functions too - do a search. Good luck !!

For early model SC's, the IRCM controls the low-speed fan & high speed fan from signals sent to the EEC by the Engine Coolant Temperature sensor. It also controls the cooling fans from signals sent to the EEC from the A/C switch. Later model SC IRCM's also include a relay for the fuel pump. My schematics (in the '92 EVTM) don't show any IRCM connections specific to the dash lights.

You may also want to check your ignition switch, headlight switch, and multi-function switch (turn signal). Basically all the power for the instrument panel, ABS, headlights, and just about everything else, runs through these components. That large amount of current causes them to overheat and fail fairly often...

wow sounds like a dash rip apart project i don't think the cd player bash had anything to do with it, the lights cut out after i shut the car off so maybe a spike in the current but when i get some time i'll check out the dash and see if there are any loose wires

thanks
cody

ok well i installed a new dvd player in the car and now the hi low knob for the climate control went out...... that might be a loose wire i'll take out the that part tomorrow to see....any more ideas?
thanks
cody

p.s. whats involved in taking apart the dash to get to the guage cluster? can't figure out how to take off the radio and climate panel.....but i didn't take off the trans cover i remember seeing some bolts in there but don't remember what they do

thanks

also it turned out to be a bad cd player.....put a new one in and no more problem i hate clarion sometimes

the radio works great but i think the bulb in the climate control is burned out from what i read but, how did the short affect the guages? i have all the wires installed correct and no loose ends but the tach and the oil pressure guage don't light up very well

any input?
thanks
cody

Back