Tilt Steering Problem

BossCougar

The tilt wheel is not locking into place and also has some sideways movement. almost like the old "tilt away wheels" in the 67-69 cars. Only without the ability to lock it into place to drive safely. Looking at the shop manual (13-04-8) i'm guessing that the issue is either the tilt casting and/or the pivot pins. Oh Car is a 90 XR7.
I was wondering if anyone else had encountered this and if so which is been the most common part to break?
What size bolts need to be used with the puller to get the wheel off? None of the ones with my puller matched the threads.
Anyone know if the part is still going to be available through Ford or is this a salvage yard item?
Thanks
Ron

I got an 89 XR-7 that is ready to go to the scrap yard....

It still has the steering column in it....

Let me know if you want it .....

If you decide not to get the parts from Eddie, you could bring it by here and I could look at it for ya.

I had the exact sme problem on a 1988 Mark VII. Take the plastic shrouding off the steering column, and there are two 'anti-tamper' star-bolts that hold the two halves of the assembly to the column. They worked themselves loose over the years.

The anit-tamper bolts are a star-shaped hole with a pin in the middle, so you neeed a special set of sockets. I found mine at Pep-Boys for about $5.00.

Question: If the bolts are designed to be 'tamper resistant', why are the tools necessary to 'tamper' with them so readily available?

Got the collumn apart today . The bolts needed for the puller were 8mm 1.25 BTW. Sure enough the one pin was broken, not sure what happened with the other pin there was no sign of it. Also the spring that pushes the wheel up was sitting loose in there.
Thanks to those that responded.
Ron

Back