Bulb replacement for HVAC controls

89psychobird

Has anyone replaced one of the bulbs that light up the buttons for HEAT and A/C? My buttons on the left side do not light up anymore.

I tried to remove the unit a few years ago and it seemed like wires or hoses were holding it from being pulled out. Any hints would be appreciated.

Well, I just replaced the one I have about a week ago. You need to take the control out of the dash. This is frankly a pain. Take 2 pieces of coat hanger and bend them into a "U" to slide into the 2 holes on the L/R side. Then wiggle the unit out about 1/2" and then pull out as far as possible w/o breaking stuff. There are 2 electrical connectors and 1 vaccuum line block connector.

To get the LH connector off, I made a tight hook on the ends of another "U" shaped coat hanger, then reached behind the 2 lock clips to hold them open. At the same time, I pushed back on the connector with a long thin flat tipped screwdriver. I then dropped the glove box down and pried the wire harnesses off the frame and as much stuff out of the way so that I could disconnect the vaccuum line connector. This allowed me to get some slack by pushing the bundle through the tight confines. Then on the back side of the control unit, there are 2 small nuts that screw onto 2 unthreaded plastic posts. I think they're 10mm. Loosen them and take the vaccuum block off.

You might be able to reach the 2nd electrical connector now. Take it off. Alls thats left now, is that annoying blend cable. You have to take a set of long nose pliers and squeeze the plastic lock together while you work the cable out. Then it just tilts to detach it from the slide lever. That should do it..
the bulb is at the bottom in the gap between the motor speed switch and the rest of the housing. You'll need long pliers again to twist it out.
The bulb size is #37.

Have fun and keep a couple of bandaids handy as you'll cut yourself a couple of times. This doesn't take all that long, but it is rather frustrating.
If you're like me though, I just HAVE to HAVE the lights working so it just simply is a job that must be done. :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

Back