oddly broken balancer??

D-bird

Well my HB finally went at 127,016 miles, except it broke off flush with the front cover. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so how did you get the rest of it out?? I guess I can snap a pic if you need one.

~Darrel

Well my HB finally went at 127,016 miles, except it broke off flush with the front cover. Has this happened to anyone else, and if so how did you get the rest of it out?? I guess I can snap a pic if you need one.

~Darrel

i havent had to do mine yet :eek: but what i read is that you probably goin to have to pull the timing cover(front cover). and use a 3 jaw puller.;)

ive had 2 of my ballancers break the exact same why ..... soo i know exactly what your talking about ..... ..

there are two ways to go about getting the broken peice off the crankshaft ,,,

#1--drill small holes in opposite sides of the broken peice and thread in two good screws and try pulling on them with pliars ... make sure to drench it with lots of penatrent ,,, :confused: "you are taking a risk at scaring up your crankshaft so use small drill bits"

#2-- pull your timing cover off,, and take a 3 jaw puller and pull the timing gear out slightly ..then push it back and pull the broken peice off ....

the first time my ballancer broke,, the peice came out pretty easy ......
BUT the second time it broke IT WAS HELL and i had to pull the timing cover off and do all that crap ..

check and see if your main bolt that holds the ballancer on is broke...??
IF it is ....then go buy a set of "easy-outs" from the hardware store and drill a small hole in the boltand the broken bolt will come out very easy

..!!..DO NOT PUT A USED HARMONIC BALLANCER BACK ONTO YOUR CAR ..!!....
no matter how nice it looks ...

your best bang for the buck is to buy a BHJ ballancer because you can remove them as many times as needed ...but once you remove the stock one ..you cant put it back on because it will break ....

do some more researching on the website if you need anything else .... or send me a PM because any problem you will have with your car ....IVE probably already had it

THANX - dustin

good idea

I was wondering about drilling and tapping into the broken piece, it is definetely worth a try instead of pulling the timing cover off. I'm not going to reuse an old balancer, but i really wish there was an alternative to the BHJ.

~Darrel

the stock balancer is almost never the fault of broken balancers they dont just break.

when you inspect the peices youll find the pullys weight fell off,
or pully bolts were loose causing wobble,
or loose bolt holding it to crank. they dont just break bad tensioners causing belt flap can contribute so if you go the bhj route .

or go stock remember the cause is still on your sc . something caused it to break. find what did it and save your self trouble down the road.

me im using a rebuilt one i did at home 2 yrs now no problems .

best way to remove the peices is to remove cover and split the balancer shaft cut a groove in it they can be on there really good if it slips off then the balancer was loose and wobbled before it broke.

If you end up pulling your timing cover, be careful. From what the experts say, there is a hidden bolt that has to be removed, otherwise you could be looking for a new cover real soon.

If you end up pulling your timing cover, be careful. From what the experts say, there is a hidden bolt that has to be removed, otherwise you could be looking for a new cover real soon.
That hidden bolt is located in the lower, driver's side corner and is usually covered with RTV that was used to seal the oil pan....yes, I broke the first cover I removed :mad:

:eek: first of all ..... i dont know where that came from ,.,,, BUT if you remove your timing cover DO NOT CUT THE BROKEN SLEEVE IN HALF ...because then you will get metal shavings all over your timing gears ,,,and in your oil....and that will cause more damage ,,,,,

like i said before ..use a 3 jaw puller ... its pretty much the safest way and foolproof ....

and there is a hidden "HEX" bolt in the timing cover ... just look at a haynes manual to find it ...

the thing being said about something causeing the ballancer to break cannot be intiarly true ..in my opinion ,,,.. because i know several people who have broken ballancers and all they did was put a bhj on ..or a new stock unit and havent had another problem since then..

Mine must have failed because I took it off and re-used it. I did get a new bolt for it, but it must have not been 100 percent as tight as it was when new. The bolt was tight, and not broken, but the balancer snapped off.

I drilled it, used some bolts and a balancer puller and was able to slowly pull the broken piece off the crank snout. I did have to replace the timing cover front seal, but I didn't remove the cover from the engine.

I have a thread about this. Lemme find you a link.

I just finished replacing my broken one with a BHJ. I did the 2 holes on either side with 2 screws method of removing the broken off hub. Instead of trying to pull it off with pliers, I ran the screws through a metal bar over the end of the crank and tightened the screws like a puller and it came right off. I used one of those $10 claw type seal pullers to pry out the seal from the inside. I also impacted the crank bolt to torque it.

Back