94 sc vs. 06 impala ss

2qikforya

I was on route 109 in farmingdale and i pulled up to this 06 black impala ss, sounded stock so he rolls down his window and ask's what i got in it and i just say bolton's, i got exhaust,smaller pulley,cai,bigger throttle body. He took off at like 40 and got a head start so i gave it 3/4 throttle and he kept his lead at about 1 and a half car. I had 2 other guys in my car that are 180 pounds each and subs in the back. I still had trac control on, idk if that makes a difference. I think i shoulda beat him tho? wut u guys think.

Those new impala SS' are pretty fast cars. Somewhere along the lines of 300+ horsepower. They are front wheel drive though. If you raced him off the line you would beat him for sure. Too much power for front wheel drive.

I was on route 109 in farmingdale and i pulled up to this 06 black impala ss, sounded stock so he rolls down his window and ask's what i got in it and i just say bolton's, i got exhaust,smaller pulley,cai,bigger throttle body. He took off at like 40 and got a head start so i gave it 3/4 throttle and he kept his lead at about 1 and a half car. I had 2 other guys in my car that are 180 pounds each and subs in the back. I still had trac control on, idk if that makes a difference. I think i shoulda beat him tho? wut u guys think.

i pulled like a car on one of these with a mostly stock sc cai,and exhaust only mods. from a dead stop about and then about 60-70mph he started to come back. yea you right the fwd sucks on them should have been rwd. owell:D

Wait... which SS are you talking about ?
The newer one's (FWD) or the Big bad boy that looks like it can hold 8 people and is very similar to the Caprise Classic.

I knuckled up with the new job with my car stock and it was fun...

I knuckled up with the older 96' and caught a beat down --- Pimphand style... SuperCharger Rammed down my throat...the works... ( I knew it was coming but I just had to do it )

94-96 Impala SS 5.7 liter "LT1" V-8 285hp mid-14's stock. rwd

2002-2004 Impala SS V-6 Series II 3800 supercharged 240hp low-15 stock. fwd

2006- Impala SS 5.3L V-8 300+ hp "power on demand" this car will only run on 4 cylinders when needed. low 14's stock on its best tire day. fwd

Wait... which SS are you talking about ?
The newer one's (FWD) or the Big bad boy that looks like it can hold 8 people and is very similar to the Caprise Classic.

I knuckled up with the new job with my car stock and it was fun...

I knuckled up with the older 96' and caught a beat down --- Pimphand style... SuperCharger Rammed down my throat...the works... ( I knew it was coming but I just had to do it )

I was talking about an 2006 impala ss, I have a 96 ss, cammed and full bolton.:D

man i seen a 06SS the other day with a exhaust. God damn thing sounded mean as hell which is weird to hear a v8 groumble out of a FWD car

Just a few correctiont, 06 Impala SS is the same drivetrainwise with the GXP Grand Prix except for a lower gear ratio. The GXps have hit as quick as 13.6@103 BONE STOCK, SS are a little heavier, but shouldn't be much slower if any (jury is still out though). the 94-96 SS were high 14/low 15 second cars, if they DID hit mid 14s, it was an unusally good running car on a perfect day. And the Impala SS from 94-96 is not just lite a Caprice from that era, but the SAME thing, just with a lowered suspension/different trim/grill, different seats (96 SSs only got a floor shifter and different instrument panel), and rear disc brakes. Performancewise, you could get the same LT1 as an option backed by the 4L60E tranny, big difference here is that lowest gear you could get in a Caprice was a 2.93 (like my 96 had) and all SSes came with 3.08s. The next wuickest is actually the 3.8 SCs, these were pretty solid high/mid 14 second cars and very easy to make decently quick ala GTP. the newest ones are by a good shot the quickest stock. It is going to take a few good mods to an SC to really match one ESPECIALLY on the topend.I'd rather have 94-96 than any though and what i would be driving now if banks didn't just back on the car loans they offer about 5 years. LOL.

Yeah, my dad is looking to spend around 6k-8k on a car right now and if I could find a decently relativel low mile 94-96 SS for that, I would be convincing hi to get it (I know, good luck with that, right? LOL). I want to trade my GTP for a Marauder here soon if I don't find a Cummins Diesel pickup for a good price, only problem is I owe double on the GTP what it's worth, live and learn I guess. Anyways, i did find a 03 Rauder on autotrader for 13500 with 49k miles, oh so tempting!

Yeah, my dad is looking to spend around 6k-8k on a car right now and if I could find a decently relativel low mile 94-96 SS for that, I would be convincing hi to get it (I know, good luck with that, right? LOL). I want to trade my GTP for a Marauder here soon if I don't find a Cummins Diesel pickup for a good price, only problem is I owe double on the GTP what it's worth, live and learn I guess. Anyways, i did find a 03 Rauder on autotrader for 13500 with 49k miles, oh so tempting!

Check out www.impalassforum.com They got a buncha ss's and caprice's for sale on there. It's worth the look.

Ah, he ended up with a 98 Regal LS, nice car for him, great winter driver and rides pretty good, but it ain't no B-Body. Have been a member of that forum for years (had a 96 Roadmaster and a 96 LT1 Caprice B4U :D). There is a guy I used to talk to at times that has a 96 SS running 12.1 all motor on Drag Radials, I LOVE THAT CAR! He promised to let me take it down the track, but neither of us have been at the track at the same time since. he was the first to pull a 13 from the GTP, (he has GTP also he hit 14.3 with just a CAI). :D

Those new impala SS' are pretty fast cars. Somewhere along the lines of 300+ horsepower. They are front wheel drive though. If you raced him off the line you would beat him for sure. Too much power for front wheel drive.

A friend of mine works at a chevy dealership and he has drivin a SS Impala. He says there quick but the FWD is a downfall. And FYI...they have 303 hp.

A friend of mine works at a chevy dealership and he has drivin a SS Impala. He says there quick but the FWD is a downfall. And FYI...they have 303 hp.

The new Pontiac Grand Prix GXP have basically the same drivetrain as the new Impala SS. I had a newer silver Grand Prix GXP try to make a point a few weeks ago while we were getting on the interstate.................

He was NOT even close to being successful!!!!!

He (GXP) was riding my rear going down the entrance ramp, running up to me then backing off several times. I'm in my '07 Mustang GT, in 3rd gear behind a Dodge Ram Hemi running about 40mph so I can't go any faster. As we get down to where you can merge onto the interstate the Ram hits the gas and quickly moves into the right lane on the interstate and the GXP darts across to the left lane passing the Ram. As this is happening, I nail the gas, staying in the acceleration lane, passing both the Dodge and the GXP. By 110, just after shifting to 4th, I'm way ahead of the Dodge and probably 4 or 5 cars on the GXP. I let off and the Pontiac comes up beside me, shakes his head, mouths something like "had to try", gives me a thumbs up then goes on past. The Dodge never catches back up to us.

Last edited:
The new Pontiac Grand Prix GXP have basically the same drivetrain as the new Impala SS. I had a newer silver Grand Prix GXP try to make a point a few weeks ago while we were getting on the interstate.................

He was NOT even close to being successful!!!!!

He (GXP) was riding my rear going down the entrance ramp, running up to me then backing off several times. I'm in my '07 Mustang GT, in 3rd gear behind a Dodge Ram Hemi running about 40mph so I can't go any faster. As we get down to where you can merge onto the interstate the Ram hits the gas and quickly moves into the right lane on the interstate and the GXP darts across to the left lane passing the Ram. As this is happening, I nail the gas, staying in the acceleration lane, passing both the Dodge and the GXP. By 110, just after shifting to 4th, I'm way ahead of the Dodge and probably 4 or 5 cars on the GXP. I let off and the Pontiac comes up beside me, shakes his head, mouths something like "had to try", gives me a thumbs up then goes on past. The Dodge never catches back up to us.

Thats awesome dude! That is true american muscle! I love those new stangs and This is probally one of the best raceing stories I've heard!

I was actually impressed by how close the GXP was able to hang. I know 4 or 5 car lengths is a good bit, especially when he got the jump on me, but that's a lot closer than I expected. I went home and checked them out on the Car&Driver website and they list it as being able to run a mid/low 14 second 1/4 mile.

A few days ago, a young guy in a Civic tried to run me. I had just taken off from a stoplight and was in 3rd when I saw him come up beside me and rev. I did just what it took to stay beside him and started wiping my dash off (read about someone else doing this and liked the idea so it's not original). After a quick wipe or two, I looked over at him, smiled and checked out. He never would come back up beside me.

Back