Anyone Running Non-ARC Tokikos?

Black93sc

They only cost a little more than the KYB GR shocks and I was wondering if any of you guys have run them? If so, how do you like them?

I also have the Tokiko "Blues" non-arc shocks with my eibach springs. I am happy with them.

Much better than an OEM replacement style shock. They keep the progressive springs (such as Eibach's) under control pretty well, and keep them from pogoing like they did with the OEM shocks.

Jeramie

pogoin haha. Would be nice if we had a shox that was performance valved for a lowered SC...I know the ARC toxicos were setup that way however I was not happy with them at all

pogoin haha. Would be nice if we had a shox that was performance valved for a lowered SC...I know the ARC toxicos were setup that way however I was not happy with them at all

No, according to Tokico the Illumina's were originally intended as an OE replacement with slightly firmer valving. I bought a set of Tokico Illumina's and Tokico lowering springs and was very dissapointed with the results. When I called Tokico they told me that their lowering springs were intended to be used with the Tokico blue's and not the Illuminas. In later years they redesigned their springs to give adequate performance with the Illuminas but the Illumina's were never intended to be used with lowering springs. The Tokico blue's apparently are, and based on how they ride with lowering springs, I tend to agree.

interesting..They still sell the blues? I was told by a Tokico Rep that thr Illuminas were matched for the 3/4 inch lowering springs they sold as a kit.

Truth be told I didnt like them before I lowered my car or after..The ARC versions that is. So I'm all for a shox that will actually work nice

It's true that they do offer a kit now. But the springs they sell with it are not the same as the ones they used to sell back when they designed the shocks. I bought mine in 1995 and went through the whole thing back then. So basically what I understand is that they made the shock for OE applications, then after people complained that the shocks sucked with any aftermarket lowering spring they mated them to, Tokico apparently decided that they needed to design a spring that would work with their shocks. Hence the kit they sell now.

Anyway, the blue's were originally intended for a lowered vehicle (so I was told back then) and based on my experience I would say yes because I have one car with the Illuminas and Eibachs, which I don't like, and one car with Eibach's and the blues, which I do like.

I'm not sure what Koni had in mind when they made their shocks, but everyone who has them seems to like them on a lowered car. I know I do.

Back