Keeps Breaking Dipsticks

FLIPPO

This is the second dipstick I have had break. I have tried installing with both letterings in different directions with no sucsess. It seems that it happens when the vehical is started after maybey ten cranks. These sticks are discontinued so need some help please.

I'm assuming you are talking about oil dipsticks? Something isn't right if they are breaking. Are the ends breaking off like they are contacting the crankshaft, or are they breaking in half?

Are you sure you are using one for an SC and not a V8 or N/A V6?

yes it it the oil dipsticks and they are breaking just past the full.not sure if the tube is positioned incorrect or what. Yes it is hitting the crank,it has to be.

My Cougar did that. I never looked in to why exactly, I just kept another dipstick in the garage. I know it was hitting the crank since you could hear a rythmic squeaking before the stick broke.

One thing I did notice over time was that the top of the tube is much further forward on the Cougar than what I see in some underhood pics that have been posted. In my Cougars case I'll bet the tube is mounted on the wrong manifold bolt. Perhaps something similar in this case.

I had a similar problem on my mustang after installing my long tube headers. I dont know if the Sc's are the same but it is worth a look. I pulled the dipstick and tube out to install the headers. It wouldn't come out easy for some reason and when it finally did it looked like the tube was bent slightly. So I straightened it out and it went back in easily however it started hitting the crank right away. I screwed with it enough to make it quit but eventually it broke off the dipstick as well as the end of the tube! When I bought a new one from Ford I found the the tube is SUPPOSED to be bent! Unfortunately on my engine you could not put the tube in it's place (behind the motor mount) when it was bent. So I had to unbolt the motor mount from the block and raise the engine slightly to get enough clearance to install it without taking out the bend. Once I did this..."voila" ...no more problems. Like I said I dont know if it is the same on your SC (I would guess it should be but who knows) but at least I've shared what I know.

Good Luck and Merry Xmas!

Max

thanks everyone for the input I will check the mounting bolt but will probally end up keeping the new one in the truck being you dont check while its running:)

I had the same problem after installing lomg rods. You could hear them hitting the dip stick. I now have one dip stick cut real short I keep in the engine and the right one in the trunk to check the oil. Kinda mickey mouse but it works.

Same problem

I'm having the same problem with my '90 SC. The dipstick and tube are from my original '90 block. But I'm using a '94 block with a stock '94 crank, stock 94 rods and 20 over forged flat top Diamond pistons.

I pulled the dipstick out one day and a section from just above the full mark to the end was missing. It's probably still in the bottom of the pan. Purchased a new dipstick and now, a couple of thousand miles later, it has a wear mark on the side of it just above the full mark. Something is rubbing against the dipstick.

I know the tube is fashioned to the correct exhaust manifold bolt.

Since this engine was built, I've had to put 5.5 quarts of oil in it to show full on the dipstick. That's with a filter change, adding 5 quarts, starting it up, shutting it down and checking again and then adding a half quart so it shows full on the dipstick. That, in itself, doesn't seem right.

I'm planning on putting the broken dipstick in the tube and leaving the good one in the trunk.

eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

With that being said, I have some markings on my pan that would look like I have a replacement engine from a junk yard. Is there anything that would tell me if I have a later year engine with maybey the older dipstick tube?:(

different dipsticks

With that being said, I have some markings on my pan that would look like I have a replacement engine from a junk yard. Is there anything that would tell me if I have a later year engine with maybey the older dipstick tube?:(

The '89 -'93 dipstick is flat and the matching tube is the same diameter top to bottom.

The '94 - '95 dipstick is a heavy braided wire with round solid indicator at the end. The matching tube is flaired at the top to accept a "male" end that's just under the dipstick cover.

I've been told that as long as you use the right dipstick with the right tube, they will work in any '89 - '95 SC block.

Although I'm using a '94 block, crank, rods and supercharger, the heads and everything else on the engine are from a '90.

I'm not sure how you can tell what year the block is unless the pan was off and you could see, on a '94 - '95, that there's windage tray and/or compare the rods with those in an '89 - '93.

Eddie
'90 5-speed SC
'97 LX sport

Back