have body damage on the back?

Tony8470

I was just wondering if anyone has had their rear quarter panels replaced and how much it was. I am having mine done and paying out of pocket because I didn't want to deal with the possibility of an r-title being issued by my insurance. These are such cheap cars that any damage at all will end up totalling them out.

I payed around $1200 for a new Ford quarter panel + install 5 years ago. This was with me doing some of the labor like removing the interior panels and glass and no finished paint work.

The crash books list R+R both quarter panels at about 27 hours so you are looking at around 2 grand just in labor.

rear hit

SoundS bad. Accident or rot? I would buy the rear house from another bird and start there and buy a hand full of spot weld bits. My Mitchell book is showing 16 hours at a list cost of 865.60 and, for the left, 15.5 hours hours at 777.98 dealer list. 1300 in labor and 1643 in parts. Of course that's new retail. Any pics of damage? Sail panel, truck floor damage?

Nick

Holy crap!

i am replacing my rear quarter and believe me there is no way I'm paying those kind of dollars. My advice is:

Pick up a used quarter from your local wrecker:

Go to your nearest stainless steel shop find a welder who does a little side work. Negotiate a price:

Do the bondo prep work yourself (one litre of Rage Gold, and some sand paper, etc.)

Send it to a body shop to paint.

This should be considerabley more reasonable.

My costs will be skewed as I have a bunch of rotted spots plus two rockers and the drivers side quarter to be done but I know I will be in and out for well under 1200.00.

sean

Thats the damage. I found a used quarter, but my auto body guy is frowning on it. Mostly the fact he has to drill out the spot welds and he says the metal likes to bend when that happens. He hasn't gotten back to me yet on anything really but I'm needing the time to get some funds to pay for it anyways.

P.S. DON'T DRIVE ON DRAG RADIALS IN THE RAIN

Attachments

• SP_A0041.JPG
    SP_A0041.JPG
    55.5 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Well...I wish I could help, but I am not a body man. I am just chiming in here so I can lern from someone who has a clue about what to do:D Good luck.

Chris

ouch first the 35th now this one damn

i hear its not horrible to do but it is costly you have to cut the original off
id start with one from a junkyard

That doesn't look that bad just time consuming. It looks like your passenger side was spared. You'd have to gut the inside of the trunk to check out your trunk pans. Your rear header is definantly mashed in as well as you deck lid. An entire rear quarter section of the car needs to gotten to fix this. The problem is, you'd need a frame rack to secure the car while it's missing the stuctural metals. And again, alot of spot weld bits. I'd say go for it!

Nick

I had mine done in 2002 for about 1,800 to 2,000. You do need to block it up correctly or have a shop that will mount it on a frame machine to hold it within the factory spec’s. I have Auto Cross and road raced mine a few times after without any problems. . Did all the mechanical work myself, just had the body/paint work done.

Last edited:
Back