odd problem

mlbuxbaum

driveing home the other night the car stumbled twice, rpm fell hard then picked back up, then the car died. RPM's went to zero, everything else stayed on, as I pulled over to the shoulder, the car kicked back on. ~~~???? I kept going and at the next stop light it just died. It would not start right back up, crank but no fire. I checked connections under the hood, and all was fine, after a few minutes it fired up but under a distressed, hard crank. It hasn'r done it again, but I'm sure it will. Any ideas? CEL isn't on or anything.All this happened after a 30 minute 70-80 mph ride home. No over heating or anything, I was thinking maybe fuel filter got clogged up or something, ignition module going, basically I don't kow.....

I'd try looking for bad ground connections, plus make sure your DIS is not getting heat soaked. Just some thoughts, good luck!

well, it did it a few more times on me. at first i thoght it only did it after I filled up with gas, but not the case. I checked dis module connections, wires, everything I could think to check and found nothing. I decided to check the oil and guess what? no oil on the dipstick ! SOOO....I figure the car wasn't getting oil, was pinging hard enough to set off the knock sensor which retarded the timing which it really didn't need to and poof, car died. I changed the oil, put some Bars Leaks for oil in (rear seal is going) and all has been fine since. Now that I posted this it will die on me tomorrow on the way to work but who cares.....AAA to the rescue, again......100 miles free towing is awesome.

the 4 pin plug on the top of the coil pack was loose......:eek: Tweaked the pins alittle and it snugged right up and seems to be fine, but time will tell. I found it by getting it started and checking coonnections by tugging on them. When I got to that plug, I moved it some and the car died......

Back