Brake fluid coming up thru cap

rrlcommish

When I step on service brake, fluid comes up thru cap and spills out all over the engine (stinky mess!). Also, brake and anti-lock lights come on, go off, and come on again seemingly randomly. When lights are on, pedal is hard and car difficult to stop...when off, brakes work perfectly. So the system does seem to be working...at least intermittently. Is it possble that I have a bad cap that is causing a (sometimes) loss of pressure in the system and causing the lights to come on and fluid to seep up through? Or is it more likely my whole ABS system is shot? Or some other problem? Please help, this one has me stumped! This is a '91 SC, BTW.

The intermittent 'On-Off' of the red and yellow lights is probably from a faulty ABS relay. That is the most common cause of this problem.
It is the brown relay attached to the passenger side firewall, tucked up by the ECC-tester and hood prop rod.

Kit,

Thanks for the response. I had to table this until spring, but I'm ready to fix it. I can't locate the relay. Can you be more specific where it is and what it looks like? The Helm manual was no help. Also, does anyone know the part number and an approximate price for it? Thanks!

The intermittent 'On-Off' of the red and yellow lights is probably from a faulty ABS relay. That is the most common cause of this problem.
It is the brown relay attached to the passenger side firewall, tucked up by the ECC-tester and hood prop rod.

It is the only BROWN relay on the passenger side firewall.....

You might have to dig a little to find it....:rolleyes:

An easy way to tell if it is working is to listen for the ABS pump motor to come on when you do a KOEO test.....

The pump motor should run for a little bit (you should be able to hear it "load up") and then shut off.....

Back