running the fan all the time, good or bad idea?

bigcletus94

Thinking about just cutting that wire and letting my fan run all the time. Is this a bad idea?

I tried using an adjustable t-stat with a relay and it only worked half of the time for some reason. I think the adjustable t-stat was bad because if I would move it around or upsidedown, it would click and switch on and off. Don't really want to run wires to a switch inside either. Thanks.

I wouldn't run the fan all the time. It's just more wear on the
fan motor and alternator. Just installed a switch last night, only
took about an hour.

Purchased 15' (only used about 12') of gold lamp wire from
Lowe's and a $2 switch from radio shack, (little black one).
Ran it on the left side of the engine bay under the resevoir,
around the A/C separator, (to clear the throttle cables) and
down to the steering wheel shaft rubber boot. ran it through
there and up under the dash to just aft of the ashtray where
it angles up about 45 degrees. Looks good and all the wiring
is hidden. open the circuit and the fan comes on.

Used quick disconnect terminals on the wires incase I wanted to
remove the wiring in the future. Really cool set up. Just turn
it off when cruising.

Also, if you ran it all the time, this would rob some HP from the
motor cuz your loading the alternator. Anyone know how much
HP to run a loaded Alt?? That would be some good info.

Hope this helps.
j. :eek:

i dont think it would rob any HP. i have mine running all the time, the temp gauge never goes past the middle of the O and the R in the gauge. However, a fan switch is an even better idea.

mines on all the time

on high all the time no problems, my water temp is 180 my oil temp is 220 just right for me.

Probably been asked a million an done times...WHat wire is it that you cut???..My Fan on my 94 is controlled by my chip..However my freind owns a 90 an dwould liek to run a switch to that wire for his own peice of mind..Thanks guys...Can always email me any info at lostsoulnyc@hotmail.com..In case I miss this;O)

I was about to install an adjustable thermo switch in mine after the relay went on my cool fan (180) switch, and I decided to try the #14 wire trick , just for grins.

3 months now, temp is on N steady and gets to the first half of the O when I run her hard. It used to vary more when I had the cool fan switch turning it on and off. Same deal for when the AC is on. No problems yet. I have a spare fan motor just in case. Yes, it will wear the fan motor faster, but as long as you know it....

The concern was /is there COULD be a problem should the HS fan ever come on. But at the temp mine is running, something will have to fail first for that to happen, because there's not be a situation where my car gets even close to the temp the HS would normally turn on at. Just my experience, yours may vary.

Last edited:
fan

I set mine up to run all the time about 7 months ago- no problems at all. with 180 thermostat the temp stays well below the "N" all the time except when I'm in high boost (racing someone):D

Back