Multi-problems

focus

Need to get car to shop...

Here's the deal... several months ago I parked my 90 SC due to several problems I couldn't fix at the time, so it has been sitting for awhile.

Multi-problems:
Let me start from the beginning.... it all began with a problem starting which I first thought was the battery and replaced it. But it continued to be a problem. It was like it would only hit on every sixth try or so... several concluded that it must be either the cam and/or crank sensors. Then, 70 miles outside of town it started running rough and bogged down, diminished power. We ran a code which said was the bypass valve on the charger and also found a crack in the hose connecting the CAI tube. We duck taped that and disconnected the belt on the charger to get her home. At the time I couldn't fix, and parked it, but it has been awhile since I've tried starting again.

So she needed a jump and now has a new problem... I cranked and cranked, she'll turn over but not start. Almost seemed like the accelerator wasn't connected... every other time it would act like it wanted to start but couldn't rev it up to take hold. Then just by accident I held the ignition switch forward while starting and she started right up... let go and she'd die. Had to hold it just right, any further forward and the starter would re-engadge, any less and she'd die. Held in this position she seemed to idle fine and would accept acceleration. This one has me baffled. Can't hold the ignition, steer and shift gears to get her to the shop. Perhaps the battery hasn't charged enough or the altenator has gone bad? I know the battery does some weird things when it has lost charge.

Any Ideas???

I'll have to check, but I'm pretty sure that it already has been replaced just before I bought the car.

Could it have gone bad, just sitting?

I would check that first. The part I am talking about is the electrical part that is mounted on the rt. side of the steering column.

You were right, I finally got a chance before the Ice moved into Dallas to pull the lower dash and column cover and before I had it apart a piece of the ignition switch fell to the floor with some tape. Sure enough the bottom half of the switch was hanging by the wires... I pieced it back together and it started right up. Didn't idle very well... but after giving it enough gas to keep from dying it did smooth out. Zip tied the switch back together and it starts now, still not sure about the idle, but I need to replace the hose connector to the CAI which was split, just temp patched it with duct tape for the moment.

Now I need to fix the brake lights... turn signals work... checked fuse and pedal switch and seem to be good.... ???

zip tying the ignition switch is so ghetto. They are like $12.99 at a parts store just get a new one.

I had mine go bad not too long ago. When I hit a bump all my power accessories died, but the car still ran, just had no heat/radio/windows/abs....

zip tying the ignition switch is so ghetto. They are like $12.99 at a parts store just get a new one.

If it works, it works. That money could be spend on a case of Lion's Head, with $3 to spare. Thats just the thought of a college student.

This is also coming from the person who uses a scrap of plastic and a zip tie to remove the fuel filter, instead of spending a few dollars on the right tool.:cool:
anyway, just my 0.02

-Nick

Back